- Iraq PM asks for U.N. inquiry into Baghdad bombings
UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) – Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki has formally asked the U.N. Security Council to launch an inquiry into a series of explosions that killed 95 people in Baghdad last month.
- Swine flu deaths climb past 2,800: WHO
GENEVA – The World Health Organisation said Friday that at least 2,837 people had died from swine flu virus infections.
- Four suicide bombers detained in Chechnya
MOSCOW – Authorities in Chechnya said Friday they had averted several major attacks as they announced the detention of four youths trained as suicide bombers in the increasingly volatile region.
- Afghan anger after scores die in NATO air strike
KUNDUZ, Afghanistan (Reuters) – A U.S. warplane summoned by German troops fired on hijacked fuel trucks in Afghanistan before dawn Friday, killing as many as 90 people in an incident that could trigger a backlash against NATO.
- Somali fighting kills 6, injures 11 civilians
At least 6 civilians have lost their lives and eleven others injured during fierce fighting between African Union soldiers and Somali rebels.
- Afghanistan claims more UK troops’ lives
Roadside bombs and gun battles have left two more UK soldiers killed in Afghanistan, bringing to 212 the overall British fatalities in the war-ravaged country.
- HRW slams Riyadh over discrimination against Shias
A Human Rights Watch’s report has strongly lashed out at Saudi Arabia over its” systemic state discrimination” against Shia Muslims across the kingdom.
- Israeli FM tours Africa to lobby against Iran
The hawkish Israeli foreign minister has embarked on a tour of Africa with the hope of arousing hostility toward Tehran among the continent’s officials.
- Bomb attacks claim 13, injure 150 in Iraq
At least thirteen people have been killed and more than one hundred fifty others injured following a series of bomb attacks across war-torn Iraq on Thursday.
- NATO air raid kills ’90 people’ in Afghanistan
At least ninty people, mostly civilian, have been killed and scores others injured after US-led warplanes targeted fuel tankers in an area of northern Afghanistan.