- Making ‘progress’ towards peace: Karzai
KABUL — Afghan President Hamid Karzai said Saturday he is making ‘progress’ in a key peace process aimed at convincing Taleban rebels fighting his Western-backed government to lay down their arms.
- Afghanistan defends flight safety in face of EU ban
KABUL – Afghanistan still has time to prove its commercial aircraft have adequate safety regulations, a transport official said on Saturday, despite reports Afghan aircraft will soon be banned from flying to the European Union.
- Arrests made over Afghan UN raid, Pak links seen
KABUL – Afghan security forces have detained three insurgents they blame for an attack on a UN compound last month and believe they have links to Afghan Taleban leaders based in Pakistan, security officials said on Saturday.
- Airlines stop Jakarta flights after volcano blast
The tiny hospital at the foot of Mount Merapi struggled to cope with its victims after the volcano unleashed its most powerful eruption in a century, as international airlines cancelled flights into the Indonesian capital.
- Saudis warned of package bomb plot weeks ago
Western officials are crediting a Saudi intelligence tip they received in early October, nearly three weeks before terrorists in Yemen managed to smuggle mail bombs onto planes.
- Al-Qaida terrorists claims Baghdad attacks on Shiites
Al-Qaida’s front group in Iraq on Friday claimed responsibility for a string of attacks on Baghdad’s Shiite districts this week that left 91 people dead, and threatened more strikes against the country’s majority sect.
- Top Shiite Cleric Urges Protection For Ordinary Iraqis
The leader of Iraq’s Shiite Muslims has urged the country’s security forces to devise new methods for protecting ordinary Iraqis from terrorist attacks, reports said on Friday.
- Death toll from Pakistan mosque suicide attack reaches 95
More people have died of their injuries after Friday’s deadliest suicide bombing in a Pakistani tribal region, bringing the death toll to 95, officials and local media reported Saturday.
- Bahraini Gov. Ups Torture of Shia Prisoners
The Bahraini Center for Human Rights has expressed grave concerns about the increased use of torture against the political detainees in the country.
- Top Shia Clerics Condemn Terrorist Attacks in Iraq
Grand Ayatollahs Lotfollah Safi Golpayegani and Jafar Sobhani, on Thursday, strongly condemned the recent terrorist attacks in Iraq.