- Saudi Arabia detains 22 Shi’ites – activists
DUBAI (Reuters) – Saudi security forces have detained at least 22 minority Shi’ites who protested last week against discrimination, activists said on Sunday, as the kingdom tried to keep the wave of Arab unrest outside its borders.
- Saudi clerics condemn protests and “deviant” ideas
DUBAI, March 6 (Reuters) – Saudi Arabia’s council of senior clerics issued a statement on Sunday forbidding public protests, which the rulers of the U.S. ally and key oil exporter fear could spread following demonstrations by minority Shi’ites.
- Gunmen storm Iraqi radio station, halt broadcasts
ARBIL, Iraq – Gunmen raided a privately-owned radio station in Iraq’s Kurdish region on Sunday, shutting down broadcasts encouraging protests against the Kurdish government, officials said.
- Blast kills six in Iraqi oil city Basra
BASRA – A roadside bomb targeting a US military convoy exploded near a civilian bus in the southern oil hub of Basra on Sunday, killing six people and wounding a dozen others, a provincial official said.
- Prithviraj Chavan announces aid for victims of Bandra fire
Maharashtra chief minister Prithviraj Chavan today announced an aid of Rs25,000 for each family affected in the fire in the Garib Nagar slums in Mumbai on Friday.
- Malegaon blast: CBI probe hints of undue haste by ATS Mumbai
Amid demands for a fresh probe into 2006 Malegaon blasts, the CBI has hinted that Mumbai Police’s elite Anti-Terror Squad had in its rush to solve the case named two of the accused without realising that one of them was languishing in jail while another was 700 kms away from the town at the time of the explosions.
- AMU starts Murshidabad campus
KOLKATA: The Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) Sunday started classes from its Murshidabad campus in West Bengal with the first set of students for two-year MBA and five-year law programmes.
- Court seeks reply from Arshad Madani
GUWAHATI: A local court on Saturday asked All India Jamiat Ulema-I-Hind president Arshad Madani to appear before it on April 21 and file a written statement in response to a defamation case filed against him by All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF) chief Badaruddin Ajmal.
- Saudi Eastern Governor Threatened Shia Women, Ordered Forces to Beat and Expel Them from the Palace
Saudi Wahhabi security forces attacked a group of Shia women demanding the release of their husbands and children.
- Thousands Chant for Resignation of Bahraini Prime Minister
Thousands protest at Bahraini palace and prime minister’s office, calling for regime change and to reduce powers given to government via constitution.