- Political violence kills 14 in Karachi
KARACHI, Pakistan — Contentious remarks by a prominent politician sparked violence that killed 14 people in Pakistan’s southern city of Karachi overnight and exacerbated the already precarious security situation, officials said Thursday.
- Belgium to ban the burqa next week
Belgium will enforce a burqa ban from July 23 with a fine and possible jail time for women who wear it, joining France as the second EU nation to forbid full veils, Belgian media said.
- Bahrain pushing shift in demographics
Bahrain is pressing ahead with a policy to change the demographics in the crisis-hit Persian Gulf state by granting full citizenship to the stateless Bidun residents of Kuwait, a report says.
- Opposition calls for majority-led govt. in Bahrain
Bahrain’s main opposition bloc has reiterated its demand for a government led by the parliamentary majority, in a statement released after a dispute during a national dialogue.
- Iran’s Baghdad ambassador hurt in accident
Iran’s ambassador to Iraq was slightly injured in an accident at a checkpoint outside Baghdad’s heavily fortified Green Zone, a security official said on Thursday.
- Iraq, EU talk on quick expulsion of MKO: Iraqi diplomat
TEHRAN – The Iraqi ambassador to Tehran has said Baghdad has entered into negotiations with the European Union over an immediate expulsion of the Mojahedin-e Khalq Organization members from Iraq.
- Gaddafi has ‘suicide plan’ to blow up capital
Libyan leader Moamer Gaddafi has a “suicidal plan” to blow up the capital Tripoli if it is taken by rebels
- Iraqi lawmakers irked by manipulated manual voting
BAGHDAD – Many lawmakers are calling on Iraq’s parliament to start using electronic voting, arguing that the current system conducted by a show of hands allows leaders of political blocs to manipulate the results.
- Bahrain “Freedom Poet,” Ayat al-Qurmezi Under House Arrest
A Bahraini pro-democracy poetess has been placed under house arrest shortly after she was released from prison.
- 7th Int’l Conference of Mahdism Doctrine opens in Tehran
The 7th International Conference of Mahdism Doctrine started work in Tehran on Thursday with participation of scholars and experts from Iran and 20 other countries.