- Police: Pakistani Taliban commander killed in shootout in Karachi
KARACHI, Pakistan — Pakistani police say they have killed a local Taliban commander and arrested his associate after a shootout in a southern port city.
- Iraqi officials say roadside bomb kills 2 Shiite pilgrims south of Baghdad
BAGHDAD — A roadside bomb targeting Shiite pilgrims killed two people and wounded eight others south of Baghdad on Saturday, Iraqi officials said.
- Opposition supporters rally in Bahrain despite ban
(AP) MANAMA, Bahrain — Anti-government protesters converged on the headquarters of Bahrain’s main opposition party Saturday, defying a government ban on the gathering and pressing ahead with their campaign for greater political and civil rights for the nation’s Shiite Muslims.
- Syria buries suicide bombing victims
Crowds waving Syrian flags and pictures of president Bashar al-Assad gathered on Saturday to bury 26 people who authorities said were killed by a suicide bomber at a busy Damascus crossroads.
- Iranian Grand Ayatollah Makarem Warns Against Azerbaijan Religious Bans
Iranian senior Shia cleric warns Azerbaijan leaders against tough religious bans saying Azeri leaders are digging their own grave by Anti-Shia crackdown.
- Two Pakistani Shi’a Police Martyred by Yazidi Terrorists
Anti-Islam Terrorists of Sipah-e-Sahaba in Pakistan shot martyred two Shi’a police.
- Int’l Religious Books Exhibition in Qom
An exhibition of specialized religious books is planned to be held from January 12 to 17 in the holy city of Qom.
- Bahraini Shia village attacked with Molotov, says opposition
Plainclothes gunmen backed by Bahraini security forces hurled petrol bombs at houses and cars Friday in the Shia village of Dar Kulaib, the Al-Wefaq opposition group said.
- EU responds positively to Iran’s talks offer
The prospects of the nuclear talks between Iran and the six global powers have brightened after European Union (EU) foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, using Turkish diplomatic channels, responded positively to Tehran’s offer to resume the stalled dialogue.
- Iran welcomes US rescue of nationals from pirates
TEHERAN — The Iranian government on Saturday welcomed a US navy rescue of 13 of its nationals from pirates near the entrance to the Gulf, in a rare respite from months of rising tensions between Teheran and Washington.