- The continuing tyranny of the triple talaq
Darul Uloom Deoband is once again in the news for the wrong reasons, having validated a recent instance of triple talaq uttered in a drunken state by a Muslim husband
- Iraq fugitive VP leaves Qatar for Saudi: aide
Fugitive Iraqi Vice President Tariq al-Hashemi, accused of running a death squad, left the Persian Gulf state of Qatar for Saudi Arabia on Wednesday, a close aide told AFP.
- Bahrainis hold demonstrations in support of hunger striker
Bahraini protesters have staged rallies across the country to express solidarity with prominent human rights activist, Abdulhadi al-Khawaja, who is being held in prison, despite deteriorating health condition.
- Russia warns against arming Syrian rebels
Russia’s foreign minister warned other nations again Wednesday not to arm the Syrian opposition, saying it would only escalate hostilities.
- MWM protests against sectarian killings
Leaders of the MWM in a demonstration staged outside Karachi Press Club condemned target killings of Shias across Pakistan specifically in Karachi, Quetta and Gilgit-Baltistan.
- NGOs urge Bahrain to free activist on hunger strike
Civil society groups in Gulf states on Wednesday urged Bahraini authorities to release a jailed activist who has been on hunger strike for almost two months.
- Awqaf seeks approach to monitor Shiite mosques
KUWAIT: The Ministry of Awqaf and Islamic Affairs is keen on having a suitable approach to monitor Shiite mosques, but there was no legislation nor law obliging the Ministry to monitor the mourning houses of Shiites.
- Iraq’s reconciliation conference postponed
A long-awaited Iraqi reconciliation conference has been postponed indefinitely because of deepening sectarian tensions between rival political groups, the parliament speaker said Wednesday.
- Ayatollah Sistani’s Follower and the Preacher of al-Zahraa Mosque Martyred in Diwaniya
The Shi’a preacher of al-Zahraa Mosque and a follower of top Shiite cleric Grand Ayatollah Sayyid Ali al-Sistani was shot martyred while he was on the way to the mosque for the dawn prayers in central al-Diwaniya city on Tuesday, an official security source said.