- Forty ancient sites discovered in Iraq
NASIRIYAH, Iraq — Teams of Iraqi archaeologists have discovered 40 ancient sites in the country’s south from the Sumerian, Akkadian and Babylonian periods, an Iraqi antiquities official said on Monday.
- Iraq’s Basra to make renewed push for autonomy
BASRA, Iraq: A top politician in Iraq’s oil-rich Basra province moved on Monday to give the area more autonomy from the central government, three years after the failure of a similar bid.
- Bahrain activist ends hunger strike
A lawyer representing Bahraini hunger striker Abdulhadi al-Khawaja says the activist will end his strike 110 days after he began refusing food.
- Nagpur girl, Pune man killed in Iraq explosion
A seven-year-old girl from Nagpur and a man from Pune were killed in an explosion on the Syria-Iraq border on Sunday evening, the two families said today.
- Syria massacre: Rebels share blame, says Russia’s Lavrov
Rebels in Syria are partly responsible for the massacre of more than 100 people in the Houla region, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says.
- Iran set to launch high resolution satellite: Official
An Iranian official has announced that the country is set to launch a high resolution student satellite tasked with taking images of the earth.
- Gunmen kill one in attack on Shia Muslims in Nigeria
At least one Shia Muslim worshiper has been killed and several others have been injured after unidentified gunmen opened fire in a mosque in Nigeria.
- Bahrain bails human rights activist Nabeel Rajab
Prominent Bahraini human rights activist Nabeel Rajab has been released on bail, a government spokesman says.
- Amnesty urges Saudi to free Shia prisoners
DUBAI: Amnesty International on Monday urged Saudi Arabia to free Shia prisoners arrested for taking part in “peaceful” protests and those detained without charge in the kingdom’s Eastern province.
- Gunmen kill 3 Shia Muslims in Pakistan: officials
3 Shia Muslims killed and 6 wounded by gunmen in the Pakistani village of Parachinar, a tribal flashpoint for sectarian violence between majority Sunni and minority Shia