- Oil price up 9%, Iran sanctions backfire
Oil prices have risen more than 9 percent on concerns about the potential results of sanctions on Iran’s oil industry and the strong gains in world stock markets on the back of the recent European Union summit.
- Turkish warplanes bomb several PKK targets in northern Iraq
Turkey’s military says its warplanes have bombed several Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) strongholds in northern Iraq.
- Iran pursuing visa issue for Iranian Hajj pilgrims: Official
A senior Iranian lawmaker says Iran’s Foreign Ministry and the country’s Hajj and Pilgrimage Organization are shoring up their efforts to resolve the visa issue for the Iranian Hajj pilgrims who travel to Mecca, Saudi Arabia.
- Iran, P5+1 to start expert-level talks in Istanbul
Iran and the five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany (P5+1) are set to begin an expert-level round of talks in the Turkish city of Istanbul.
- Pakistani extremists film massacre of Shiite minority group
Pakistan’s Hazara population, a predominantly Shiite Muslim ethnic minority, has long been subjected to persecution, and in recent months, increasing violence. Yet in a disturbing new trend, members of the Sunni extremist group Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, which has claimed responsibility for several attacks targeting the country’s Hazara, have begun filming deadly assaults on the community and posting the videos online.
- Baloch leader, two others killed
The Balochistan-based National Party’s (NP) Karachi president was among three people gunned down in separate incidents in the city, police said on Monday.
- The Sweet Narration Poetry Night to be held
A poetry night titled as the Sweet Narration is slated to be held on Wednesday, July 4, 2012 on the occasion of the birthday anniversary of Imam Mahdi (the 12th Shia imam). The event is arranged by Zemestan Literarily Foundation at Eivan Shams Hall in Tehran.
- 10,000 armed men enter Syria for civil war
An estimated 10,000 armed men equipped with highly-sophisticated weapons, including anti-tank missiles, have reportedly entered Syria to help fuel the unrest in the country.
- High-ranking MKO terrorist dies in Iraqi capital
A high-ranking member of the terrorist Mujahedin-e Khalq Organization (MKO) has died at a hospital in the Iraqi capital of Baghdad.
- Escalating sectarian violence in Balochistan killed over 400 in past four years: Report
Islamabad, July 2 (ANI): Almost 400 people have died in more than 200 incidents of ethnic and sectarian violence in the past four years in Balochistan, according to a report.