- NATO urges Russia to help find a solution for Syria
NATO chief Anders Fogh Rasmussen on Wednesday urged Russia to help find a political solution for Syria, after Moscow vowed not to follow a Western arms embargo on the conflict-torn country.
- Canada warns Iran diplomats against recruiting expats
Canada on Wednesday warned Iran’s mission in Ottawa against recruiting expatriates, after reports the embassy was doing so under the guise of cultural outreach programs.
- West to call for UN sanctions against Syria
Western nations on the UN Security Council on Wednesday proposed a resolution demanding sanctions against Syria over the worsening conflict, envoys said.
- West seeks 10-day deadline for Assad to silence guns
Western nations want a 10-day deadline set for Syria’s President Bashar al-Assad to halt the use of heavy weapons or face sanctions, according to a draft resolution sent to UN Security Council members on Wednesday.
- Amnesty calls for release of leading Bahraini activist
Amnesty International on Wednesday called on Bahraini authorities to release leading Shia activist Nabil Rajab sentenced to three months in jail for posting tweets deemed insulting to Sunnis.
- Relatives of kidnapped Lebanese Shia pilgrims visit Turkish envoy
A delegation of the relatives of the Lebanese Shia pilgrims kidnapped in Syria visited Turkish Ambassador to Lebanon Inan Ozyildiz on Wednesday to follow up on the issue of the abduction.
- Bodies of two decapitated Shias found in Quetta
QUETTA: Police on Wednesday found decapitated bodies of two Shia Muslims on the outskirts of Quetta, officials said.
- Saudi Shia leaders in appeal for calm
Thousands of Shia Muslims turned out for the funeral of a man killed during protests triggered by the arrest of a prominent Shia cleric in Saudi Arabia’s oil-producing Eastern province, witnesses said yesterday.
- Suicide blast kills 20 in Yemen
BEIJING, July 12 (Xinhuanet) — A suicide bomber blew himself up among a crowd in front of a Yemeni police academy in the capital Sanaa on Wednesday, killing at least 20.