- Komnas HAM Says 70 Still Missing Following Attack on Shiites in East Java
The National Commission for Human Rights (Komnas HAM) announced on Thursday that as many as 70 members of a Shiite community in Sampang, East Java are still missing since an attack on Sunday that left two dead and several people badly injured. Another organization said that dozens of people are hiding in the jungle near Sampang.
- Thousands of Shiites protest in Bahrain
DUBAI — Thousands of protesters from Shiite opposition groups marched in Bahrain on Friday to demand the release of jailed activists, witnesses told AFP.
- Al-Qaeda threat against Lebanon Shiites genuine, serious
BEIRUT: The recent warning by the Abdallah Azzam Brigades against Shiites in Lebanon amounts to a serious threat of violence that could spark off a resurgence of sectarian conflict in Lebanon.
- Egypt Comments at NAM on Syria Prompt Sharp Rebuttle from Assad Regime
Syria came under verbal attack on Thursday at a conference of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) in Iran.
- Embarrassment for Iran as guests condemn its policies on Syria and Israel
AN IRANIAN attempt to win positive publicity by hosting a summit of the Non-Aligned Movement backfired when two of the most prized guests made hard-hitting opening speeches.
- Pakistani lawyers go on strike over Shia judge killing
Pakistani lawyers have boycotted courts across the country in a show of protest against the assassination of a Shia judge in Baluchistan Province, Press TV reports.
- 31 Shia graveyards lost to land sharks, Azam seeks probe
Taking note of the fact that 31 graveyards of the Shia Muslim community have been gobbled up by land sharks, leading to a burial land crisis in Lucknow, Minister for Minority Welfare and Waqf Azam Khan has written a letter to the Home Department requesting a high-level inquiry and strict action against the encroachers.
- Egyptian Shias hesitant about Morsy’s Iran visit
Egypt’s Shia community was less than optimistic about President Mohamed Morsy’s visit to Iran to attend the Non-Alignment Summit this week.
- Two Shia clerics killed in Iraq drive-by shooting
Baghdad, Aug 31 (IANS) Two Shia clerics were gunned down by unidentified gunmen in a drive-by shooting in Baghdad Friday, a police source said.