- UN official hails Iran’s support for refugees
TEHRAN – United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees Antonio Guterres has praised the Islamic Republic for providing assistance to refugees.
- ‘Iran still second biggest producer in OPEC’
TEHRAN – Iran is still the second biggest producer in the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, Iran’s OPEC Governor Mohammad-Ali Khatibi stated.
- Gulf Air’s Iraq-Iran tickets selling fast
PASSENGERS have been snapping up seats on Gulf Air flights to Iraq and Iran which are set to resume this week after an 18-month suspension.
- Iraq’s top Shiite cleric calls on U.N. to criminalize insults against prophet
The United Nations should criminalize any insults against Prophet Mohammed, Abdul Mehdi al-Karbalai, the representative of the top Shiite cleric Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani in Iraq, said during his Friday sermon.
- Shiites challenge blasphemy law in court
Lawyers representing local Shia minority Muslims are asking the Constitutional Court to review the Criminal Code’s articles on blasphemy, which they say are elastic and open to abuse.
- Syrian opposition group to visit China next week
Members of a Syrian opposition group will visit China next week, China’s Foreign Ministry said on Friday, weeks after an envoy of Syrian President Bashar Al Assad’s visited, as Beijing steps up diplomacy to help resolve the crisis gripping the country.
- Assad calls for dialogue among Syrians
President Bashar al-Assad called for dialogue between Syrians during a meeting on Saturday with international peace envoy Lakhdar Brahimi, state television reported.
- Iran’s currency plunges to record low
TEHRAN: Iran’s currency plunged nearly eight percent to a new record low against the dollar on Monday, but the dramatic drop was being suppressed within the country through censored mobile phone text services and some exchange websites.
- Lack of Syrian products make cheap clothing rare commodity in Karbala
KARBALA / Aswat al-Iraq: Poor people in Karbala are in search of cheap clothing, with high prices being the norm since difficulties arise in importing products from Syria.