- India business group visits Iran for ‘win-win’ trade
NEW DELHI — An Indian business group said Saturday a delegation was visiting Iran to boost trade with the Islamic republic, which is under strain from Western sanctions over its alleged nuclear weapons programme.
- Iran imposes currency cap to combat rial’s plunge
Iran today sought to reverse a collapse of its currency by imposing a fixed dollar rate, days after protests erupted over the rial’s plunge, according to money changers who were refusing to comply.
- Iran ranks first in science production in Middle East
President of the Islamic World Science Citation Center (ISC) Jafar Mehrad says Iran has ranked first in science production in the Middle East.
- Turkey deploys tanks, armored vehicles along Syria border
Turkey has deployed tanks and armored vehicles along its border with Syria whose army is engaged in intense fighting with insurgents as tensions in the region escalate.
- Swedes encourages Iranian inmate to commit suicide
An Iranian scientist detained in Sweden for a domestic violence case says he has been encouraged to commit suicide while in custody, Press TV reports.
- Police and protesters clash in Bahrain
Police have clashed with protesters on the outskirts of the Bahraini capital, Manama, near the site of demonstrations that were brutally crushed last year. Demonstrators called on the king to step down.
- Ban Ki-moon slams US illegal sanctions against Iran
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon says the West’s embargoes against Iran have mainly targeted the livelihood of the ordinary Iranian population.
- Bahrain Shiite activist Rajab on hunger strike
Bahraini Shiite rights activist Nabeel Rajab has gone on hunger strike, a local rights group said Saturday, just two days after he was briefly released from jail to attend his mother’s funeral.
- Police arrests 7 terrorists, foil plot to storm central jail
Karachi: A bid to storm the central jail here has been foiled with the police arresting seven members of a banned militant outfit that were plotting the raid.
- Shia parties join hands to counter blasphemy of the Holy Prophet (SAW)
Various Shia organisations have joined hands under the banner of ‘Tehreek-e-Bedari Ummat-e-Mustafa’ to counter blasphemy of the Holy Prophet (SAW).