- Elegy stirs passion at gatherings for Moharram
MUMBAI: When Lata Mangeshkar sang the marsiya (elegy) Hussain jabse chale for the film Shankarhusain, she could not help marvel at the beauty of its craft. Soft as a lullaby with no use of musical instruments, it allowed listeners to direct all focus on the tragedy of Karbala.
- LEBANON: Concern for Syrian refugees as winter approaches
BEIRUT/TAALABAYA, 21 November 2012 (IRIN) – Winter is approaching fast for Syrian refugees in Lebanon, who are facing night-time temperatures that regularly dip below zero.
- Riding in cars with girls: Ultra-conservative Salafi MP sentenced for lewd act with 19-year-old
Ali Wanees, a controversial member of the dissolved People’s Assembly, has received a three-month prison sentence on public indecency charges, and a one-month sentence for assaulting security forces.
- Indonesia: Displaced Sampang Shia Muslims Feel Abandoned
Funding is running low and boredom is setting in for the Shia Muslims sheltering in a sports facility in Sampang since a mob burned their homes in late August.
- U.S. warns Bahrain’s society ‘could break apart’
ISTANBUL — The strategic Persian Gulf island of Bahrain, scene of continuing protests since early last year by the majority Shiite Muslims against the Sunni minority monarchy, is on the verge of severe disruption, the State Department warned Tuesday.
- Saudi Shia Religious Leaders Raise Significant Topics in Ashura Season
Many of Qatif’s Shiites religious speakers tackled various significant topics and issues on different fields for educating the society at the beginning of Muharram season of 1434AH/2012.
- Syrian warplanes bomb Damascus suburbs
BEIRUT — Syrian warplanes bombed Damascus suburbs and rebel-held areas in the country’s north Wednesday as the government blasted the European Union for endorsing a newly formed opposition coalition.
- Hamburg Recognizes Muslim Holidays, Including Ashura
The northern German city of Hamburg has recognized Muslim religious holidays, in a major achievement for the sizable community in the European country.
- Remembering Imam Hussain
The 2012 Hosay commemoration in St James begins on tomorrow with Flag Night and will continue nightly until Sunday.