- Iran’s Qeshm Island to establish Dark Sky Park
Iran has programmed to establish the first Dark Sky Park in the country’s southern island of Qeshm to boost astronomy research and tourism at the area.
- Iran ranks 17th in science production in 2012
The Islamic Republic of Iran ranked 17th in terms of science production in the world in 2012, according to the latest statistics released by the Scopus database.
- China censures new US sanctions on Iran
China has censured the United States for the imposition of new sanctions on the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- Saudi officer nabbed in Vegas for suspected assault
US security forces have reportedly arrested a Saudi Air Force officer on suspicion of sexually assaulting a teenage boy in Las Vegas.
- Pakistani protesters rally to condemn targeted killings of Shia Muslims
Pakistani protesters once again take to condemn targeted killings of Shia Muslims who make up 20% of Pakistan’s 180 million population. The protests came less than a week after car bomb exploded near a convoy of buses carrying Shia pilgrims in Balouchistan province. At least 20 people were killed and 25 others injured in the incident.
- HRW wants Bahraini rights defender freed
BEIRUT, Lebanon, Jan. 4 (UPI) — Bahrain’s government should release a human rights leader jailed for posting pictures of a demonstrator wounded during a protest, a rights group said.
- Torture allegations continue in Bahrain as UN Special Rapporteur cancels visit
Thousands have been arrested in the uprising in Bahrain, and torture of prisoners is rampant. But the UN Special Rapporteur on Torture still hasn’t been able to make it into the country to investigate.
- Patriot missile troops in Turkey as Syria war worsens
DAMASCUS: US troops began arriving in Turkey on Friday to man Patriot missile batteries against threats from neighbouring Syria, where the 21-month conflict between the regime and rebels has escalated.
- Shia leaders ask for action against targeted killings
KARACHI / HYDERABAD: The procession for Hazrat Imam Hussain’s (RA) Chehlum reached its destination peacefully at Imambargah Hussainia Iranian in Kharadar on Thursday evening in Karachi.