- Pakistan bomb: 21 die in Hangu Shia suicide attack
At least 21 people have been killed and dozens injured in a suicide bomb attack outside a Shia mosque in the north-western Pakistani town of Hangu, reports say.
- Iraq death toll spikes in January
January was Iraq’s deadliest month since September, AFP data showed on Friday, as militants shattered a relative calm and the country grapples with a political crisis and anti-government rallies.
- Al-Qaeda calls on Iraq Sunnis to take up arms against Shia govt
Baghdad: Tens of thousands of Sunni protesters blocked a major highway in western Iraq on Friday, as an al-Qaida-affiliated group called on Sunnis to take up arms against the Shiite-led government.
- Prolonged absence of ailing president, a father figure, leaves hole in Iraqi politics
BAGHDAD — President Jalal Talabani’s unexpected exit from Iraqi politics couldn’t have come at a worse time for his nation, threatened by mounting antagonism among Kurds, Sunnis and Shiites.
- Deaths of prisoners in British custody in Iraq to be re-investigated, court told
MoD faces legal challenge to its refusal to hold public inquiry into alleged human rights violations following 2003 invasion
- Soldiers in Lebanon Die in Raid Near Syria
BEIRUT, Lebanon — At least three Lebanese Army soldiers were killed Friday in a shootout as they tried to arrest a resident of a village that has become a hub of refugees and where Syrian rebels often cross the border. Their target was also fatally shot.
- UNHCR reaches rebel-held area of North Syria for first time
(Reuters) – The United Nations refugee agency said on Friday that for the first time it had reached the opposition-held Azaz area of northern Syria where it found an estimated 45,000 displaced people living in appalling conditions in makeshift camps.
- UN says 210K kids need help in Syria’s Homs, schools damaged
GENEVA – The U.N. children’s agency says 420,000 people — half of them children — need immediate help in Syria’s western governorate of Homs.
- Saudi sergeant to face trial for rape in US
Las Vegas: A Saudi Arabia air force sergeant was ordered Thursday to stand trial for the sexual assault of a 13-year-old boy on New Year’s Eve in a Las Vegas Strip hotel room.