- Iraq blasts kill senior intelligence official, four others
MOSUL: A suicide bombing on Saturday killed a senior Iraqi intelligence officer and two guards near the main northern city of Mosul, while other blasts left two more dead, officials said.
- Police and mourners clash at funeral of teenager killed in demonstration
MANAMA //Clashes broke out yesterday at the funeral of a teenager killed in demonstrations to mark the second anniversary of Bahrain’s uprising, with police firing tear gas to disperse mourners, witnesses said.
- Bomb rips through Shiite enclave in Pakistan, kills dozens
Islamabad, Pakistan (CNN) — A blast targeting Shiites in a busy Pakistani marketplace killed at least 78 people on Saturday, police told CNN.
- Exclusive: Turkey-Iran gold trade wiped out by new U.S. sanctions
(Reuters) – Tighter U.S. sanctions are killing off Turkey’s gold-for-gas trade with Iran and have stopped state-owned lender Halkbank from processing other nations’ energy payments to the OPEC oil producer, bankers said on Friday.
- Syria women face horror of war, displacement to give birth
Syrian women waiting for pre-natal care at a Lebanese clinic know their pregnancies may end prematurely due to stress and fear, and that they may be unable to provide for their babies.
- Religious persecution: Hundreds protest Shia killings
The Imamia Coordination Council (ICC) has asked the government to constitute an independent anti-terrorism cell headed by the Peshawar corps commander to take necessary action against terrorist networks.
- Syria: The Growing Power Of Jihadist Groups
The number of Jihadist groups flooding into Syria two years after the start of the uprising is threatening to eclipse the power of mainstream opposition groups as well as the authority of the Free Syrian Army.
- Southern Syria in the dark with power outage
A power outage plunged Damascus and southern Syria into darkness late Saturday, Syria’s state news agency said, while anti-regime activists reported a string of tit-for-tat, sectarian kidnappings in the country’s north.
- U.N. calls on Syria to end sexual violence
DAMASCUS, Syria, Feb. 16 (UPI) — A senior U.N. official on called on both sides of the conflict in Syria to put an end to all forms of sexual violence.