- U.N. nuclear chief presses Iran on access to military base
(Reuters) – The U.N. nuclear watchdog raised pressure on Iran to finally address suspicions that it has sought to design an atomic bomb, calling for swift inspector access to a military base where relevant explosives tests are believed to have been carried out.
- Iran rial strengthens after “positive” nuclear talks
(Reuters) – The Iranian currency jumped about 9 percent against the U.S. dollar because of apparent government intervention and a positive tone at nuclear talks between Iran and world powers, currency websites and Iranian media reported on Monday.
- British inquiry shown graphic evidence of Iraq torture
(Reuters) – A public inquiry in London into allegations that British soldiers killed, mutilated and tortured Iraqi detainees after a battle in southern Iraq was shown gruesome photographs of bloodied corpses on Monday.
- Syrian Army Kills Hundreds of Terrorists in Idlib, Homs
TEHRAN (FNA)- The Syrian army conducted several military operations and killed hundreds of armed rebels in different parts of Idlib and Homs provinces on Monday.
- Officials: 42 Syrian Troops Killed in Iraq Ambush
At least 42 Syrian soldiers were killed in a well-coordinated ambush Monday after seeking refuge across the border in Iraq following clashes with rebels in their home country, officials said. The attack in Iraq’s restive western province of Anbar is likely to significantly raise concerns that Iraq could be drawn into the Syrian civil war.
- Pakistan bomb: Karachi standstill after Shias attacked
The Pakistani city of Karachi is in mourning after a powerful bomb ripped through a mainly Shia Muslim area, killing at least 45 people.
- Pakistani Shiites mourn as death toll of massive car bombing in Karachi reaches 45
Shiite Muslims in the southern Pakistani city of Karachi demanded government protection Monday from a wave of violence that has targeted the minority sect, a day after a massive bombing in the city killed 45 people.
- Shia Ulema Council wants deweaponization of Karachi
KARACHI: Shia Ulema Council (SUC) and various other organizations have demanded a targeted operation against the banned outfits and to deweaponize the metropolis.