- Iran turns clocks forward one hour to save more daylight
Iran has turned forward its official time by one hour at midnight (0330 GMT) on Friday, March 21, to observe Daylight Savings Time (DST).
- Thousands of Bahrainis rally to demand reforms, resignation of PM
Thousands of Bahrainis have rallied near the capital, Manama, to demand reforms and resignation of Prime Minister Prince Khalifa bin Salman, while voicing support for political prisoners.
- US regulators force Standard Chartered to retract Iran sanctions comments
Chairman apologises for dismissing breaches of US sanctions to Iran, for which bank was fined £415m, as ‘clerical errors’
- UN Rights Body Extends Syria Probe to March 2014
Dozens of nations agreed Friday to extend a U.N. probe of human rights abuses in Syria’s civil war for another year, signaling their grave concern about the escalating violence and their intent to prosecute abuses.
- Assad vows to ‘cleanse’ Syria after blast
Syrian president’s threat comes day after explosion in Damascus mosque killed at least 49, including top Sunni cleric.
- Gunmen kill Sunni fighter, 2 sons in Iraq
BAGHDAD (AP) Iraqi authorities say the local leader of a militia opposed to al-Qaida and his two sons have been killed near a town north of capital.
- Syria refugees draining Jordans water supply
AMMAN: Hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees in Jordan are stretching the kingdoms meager water resources to the limit, two British aid agencies warned Friday, calling for international help.
- UN Envoy Warns of Possible Syria Spillover to Iraq
UNITED NATIONS — A U.N. envoy warned that there is a “very real potential” for a spillover of violence from Syria to Iraq which would fuel that country’s political and security challenges that threaten its achievements over the last decade.
- Bahrain dialogue steers clear of divisive issue
Manama: Bahrains national dialogue has survived its first serious scare after the 27 participants agreed to set aside a controversial issue and move forward with the other issues on the agenda.