- Help stop flow of money, weapons to rebels: Syria to BRICS
Washington: Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has called on leaders from Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa (BRICS) to help stop the flow of money and weapons to rebels in the two-year-old civil war.
- Syrian officials: 15 killed in university attack
DAMASCUS, Syria: Mortar shells slammed into a cafeteria at Damascus University on Thursday, killing at least 15 people and wounding 20 in what was the deadliest in a string of such attacks on President Bashar Assad’s seat of power, state media and officials said.
- Syria Kurds help Shiite, Sunni fighters negotiate: NGO
Syrian Kurds in the northern province of Aleppo have helped Sunni rebel fighters negotiate a settlement with Shiite residents in two flashpoint villages, a monitoring group said.
- Thousands of Bahrainis hold funeral procession for 35-year-old slain protester / Photos
People in Bahrain have held a funeral procession for a 35-year-old protester who was killed by regime forces.
- Shia leaders seek security at residential areas
Expressing grave concern over continuously targeted killing of people belonging to Shia sect, members of the community have demanded immediate arrest of killers, and to provide adequate security at their residential areas, and worship places.
- Bahrain clears medics of protest charges
Court acquits 21 medical personnel of charges linked to deadly anti-government protests in 2011, defence lawyer says.
- Syrian rebels claim to shoot down Iranian plane at airport
BEIRUT — Syrian rebels claimed Thursday they downed an Iranian plane that was landing at Damascus Airport and suspected of carrying weapons and ammunition for the Syrian government.
- Businesses warn US on cost of Iran sanctions
Prominent businessmen raised the issue of damage to the UAE’s economy caused by the United States-led sanctions against Iran at a high-level meeting of Emirati and American officials in Abu Dhabi this week.
- Iraq fears rebel influence
Conflict is spilling across the Syrian border, threatening to reignite a Sunni insurgency.
- Syria denies Iranian plane was destroyed by rebels
The rebel Free Syrian Army claimed that it has destroyed a plane carrying arms from Iran, and showed a picture of the plane on fire as it was trying to land at the Damascus International Airport.