- The Ayatollah in His Labyrinth
At the heart of Iranian politics there is an irreconcilable tension, rooted in the democratic nature of the 1979 revolution and the undemocratic power structure that emerged afterwards. On the one hand, there is the country’s quasi-republican institutions and regular, albeit controlled elections; on the other is the state’s guiding concept of god as the sole sovereign, and the Supreme Leader as the unimpeachable manifestation of this divine authority.
- Syrians ‘executed in cold blood’ by al-Qaeda group
Syrian rebels have been shown on video executing 11 shackled men in cold blood after a sharia court condemned them to death for fighting with the government.
- Syrian regime’s position strengthens as world pushes for diplomatic solution
If theres one thing you can say about Bashar al-Assad, its that he has staying power.
- World’s largest cemetery Wadi Al-Salaam in Iraq
New Delhi: Wadi Al-Salaam is an Islamic cemetery, located in Shia holy city of Najaf, Iraq. It is reputed to be the largest cemetery in the world.
- Bahrainis rally against raid on top clerics home
Bahrainis have held a protest rally near the capital Manama to reaffirm their support for the top Shia cleric Ayatollah Sheikh Isa Ahmed Qassim.
- At least 49 people killed, many injured in Iraq bomb attacks
At least 49 people have been killed and many others injured in three terrorist bomb attacks north and south of the Iraqi capital, Baghdad, security sources say.
- Bahraini regime forces raid, vandalize Shia clerics house
Bahraini regime forces have raided the house of prominent Shia Muslim cleric Ayatollah Sheikh Isa Ahmed Qassim, reports say.
- India Aims to Widen Basket of Exports to Iran
NEW DELHIIndia is looking to broaden its range of exports to Iran to help balance bilateral trade under an agreement that allows the countries to bypass Western sanctions, Indian industry and government officials said Friday.
- Factbox: Rising Syrian death toll, refugee wave
– The United Nations said on May 15 the death toll in Syria from the two-year-old civil war is at least 80,000, an increase of about 10,000 from February 2013.
- ‘The Enemy Within’
Anti-Shia violence in Pakistan goes beyond being just another example of minorities being targeted.