- US woman Nicole Mansfield killed fighting in Syria
Syrian state TV broadcast footage showing what it said was an American passport belonging to Nicole Mansfield
- Shifts in Syria pressure reluctant Washington
For two years, US President Barack Obama has been reluctant to get dragged into the fight in Syria. But with the conflict morphing into a full-fledged war by proxy, attitudes in Washington are slowly beginning to shift.
- Report: Iranian officials host Afghan Taliban delegation as Tehran seeks role of mediator
TEHRAN, Iran – A semi-official Iranian news agency says Tehran has hosted a delegation of the Afghan Taliban, the radical Sunni group that has long been a sworn enemy of Iran’s ruling Shiite clerics.
- Iran denounces U.S. sentencing for Saudi envoy plot
Iran’s foreign ministry is condemning the U.S. for the sentencing of an Iranian-American in a death plot involving the Saudi envoy to Washington.
- Turkey protest: Anti-government clashes spread
Police have clashed with protesters in the Turkish capital Ankara and in Istanbul, on the second day of unrest initially sparked by plans to build a shopping centre on a city park.
- Turkey protests: Unrest rages in Istanbul and Ankara
Turkey has entered a second day of violent protests, with fresh clashes between police and demonstrators in Istanbul and the capital, Ankara.
- Iraq uncovers al-Qaeda ‘chemical weapons plot’
The authorities in Iraq say they have uncovered an al-Qaeda plot to use chemical weapons, as well as to smuggle them to Europe and North America.
- Syria conflict: Cleric Qaradawi urges Sunnis to join rebels
An influential cleric has called on Sunni Muslims from around the Middle East to go to Syria to join the battle against President Bashar al-Assad.
- 20 rockets fired from Syria hit Lebanon
Baalbek: At least 20 rockets fired from Syria fell upon Lebanese border regions on Saturday, prompting residents to flee their houses and seek safety, Lebanese police said.