- Security guards foil attack on Shia mosque near Islamabad
Pakistani security guards have foiled a potentially devastating attack on a Shia mosque located on the outskirts of the capital, Islamabad.
- Iran political prisoners urge US to end sanctions
More than 50 political prisoners in Iran have asked US President Barack Obama to end sanctions against Tehran.
- Turkey alert after Syria-linked pilots’ kidnap in Beirut
Two pilots working for Turkish Airlines have been abducted in Lebanon, near Beirut’s international airport.
- Nine killed in gun attack in Pakistani city of Quetta
At least nine people were killed when gunmen opened fire outside a mosque in the second attack in Quetta in south-west Pakistan in as many days.
- Lawmakers approve tougher scrutiny of banks over Iran transactions
SACRAMENTO — Gov. Jerry Brown’s desk is getting more cluttered as lawmakers this week resumed sending him legislation, including a measure aimed at making sure state-chartered banks are not funneling money to the government of Iran.
- JK warns forced conversion of Sampang Shiites unconstitutional
Former vice president Jusuf Kalla warned that forced conversion imposed on members of the Shia community in Sampang, East Java during the reconciliation process was unconstitutional.
- Government mulls guarantee for insuring refiners that use Iran oil – source
(Reuters) – The government is thinking of providing a 20 billion rupee state guarantee to back local insurance for refineries that use Iranian oil and therefore cannot get foreign cover due to Western sanctions, an industry source said.
- New Iran launchpad for ballistic missile tests: Experts
LONDON: Iran has developed a second rocket-launching facility which will likely be used to test ballistic missiles, a London-based defence analysis group said on Thursday.
- As foreign fighters flood Syria, fears of a new terrorist haven
BEIRUT, Lebanon: As foreign fighters pour into Syria at an increasing clip, extremist groups are carving out pockets of territory that are becoming havens for Islamist militants, posing what United States and western intelligence officials say may be developing into one of the biggest terrorist threats in the world today.