- U.S. should take Syria retaliation threat seriously, analysts say
Syria’s Assad regime and its Iran-backed allies have pledged to retaliate against any U.S. attack, and Middle East analysts say weapons and terrorist networks at their disposal mean the threats should be taken seriously.
- Money Laundering in Billions,Iraqi Official Estimates
Political and economic Iraqi circles confirm the presence of extensive money-laundering operations in Iraq.
- Iraqi officials say bomb blasts north of Baghdad and on outskirts of Iraqi capital kill 24
BAGHDAD — A bomb hidden inside a pickup truck loaded with vegetables exploded in a market north of Baghdad, the deadlier of two vehicle bombings that killed 24 people in Iraq on Thursday.
- Kedah to step up efforts to curb spread of Shi’ite sect teachings
ALOR SETAR: Kedah will be able to step up its efforts in curbing the spread of the teachings of the Shi’ite sect here with the passing of a Bill by the state assembly on the amendment to the Syariah Criminal Offences.
- Five men were charged with violent disorder after a mass brawl during an anti-Shia protest
A plea hearing has been set for five Muslim protesters accused of attacking members of a rival sect.
- Yemen flash floods destroy camps for displaced people
Flash floods have destroyed half of the tents and caused widespread damage at three camps for internally displaced people (IDPs) in Yemen.
- Syrian Prime Minister Wael al-Halqi urges mobilisation of resources in case of US attack
Washington and close allies are publicly raising the prospect of military action in Syria as punishment for what they say was an apparent poison gas attack by government forces in a rebel-held area on Aug 21 that killed hundreds of civilians.
- Russia destroys missiles destined for Iran following Western pressure
MOSCOW: A top Russian weapons maker said on Thursday that the S-300 air defence missile systems made for Iran had been dismantled and disposed of following Western pressure to shelf the contract.
- Iran summons Indian envoy to protest detention of cargo vessel
TEHRAN: Iran summoned Indian Ambassador Dinkar Srivastava to protest the detention of an Iranian cargo vessel at a Gujarat port for more than a year-and-half