- Egypt cleric: Qaradawi acting as a mufti of Pentagon
An Egyptian Muslim cleric has lashed out at his Qatar-based peer Sheikh Yusuf al-Qaradawi, describing him as ‘a mufti of the Pentagon.’
- UN Urges Political Solution to Syria Crisis
The United Nations has called for a political solution to the crisis in Syria, saying military intervention is “not an option.”
- Former Bush Official: Syria Resolution Could Authorize Attack on Iran, Lebanon
A former legal official from the Bush administration warned that the text of President Barack Obama’s resolution authorizing the use of military force on Syria is so broad that it could justify attacks on Iran and Lebanon.
- Turkey started withdrawing from UNIFIL, south Lebanon
The United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon UNIFIL told An Nahar in remarks published on Monday that the Turkish Engineering Construction Unit started withdrawing from South Lebanon and is expected to complete its withdrawing by September 3.
- France to give ‘clear evidence’ Syria regime behind gas attack
French government sources say evidence proving the Syrian regime’s involvement in the recent attack will be provided to top lawmakers
- Iraq killings reach levels last seen in 2008
BAGHDAD – About 800 Iraqis were killed in August, the United Nations said on Sunday, condemning a wave of violence in the country that has reached levels not seen since 2008.
- Reporters Without Borders Decries Deaths, Attacks On Journalists In Egypt
Reporters Without Borders drew attention on Monday to what it called the “heavy toll” on journalists in Egypt in the weeks since the coup that overthrow President Mohammed Morsi.
- Threat of U.S.-led missile strikes in Syria adds to Lebanon’s uncertainty
BEIRUT — As Syria holds its breath for potential U.S.-led military strikes, its fragile neighbor Lebanon is bracing for the fallout.
- West pushing Syria toward total doom
The inevitable is about to happen. Well, it is almost certain to happen. Syrians face imminent bombing by Western forces led by the United States. They face more deaths and destruction, ironically, for suffering what many believe is a chemical weapon attack and seeing more than 100,000 of their compatriots perish and a good part of their country devastated in almost two and half years of civil war.
- Iran ex-president says Syria govt launched gas attacks-news agency
(Reuters) – Former Iranian President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani said the Syrian government, a strong ally of Tehran, had carried out chemical weapons attacks against its own people, the semi-official Iranian Labour News Agency reported on Sunday.