- Lebanese Sunni cleric: Imam Hussein taught us to rise against the oppression
A Sunni member of Muslim Ulima Assembly in Lebanon highlighted the messages of Ashura as protecting the oppressed and rising against the oppressor.
- Pakistan President: Ashura reminds Muslims to preserve sanctity of Islam
Pakistani President Mamnoon Hussain said on Thursday that Ashura reminds Muslims of the martyrdom that Hazrat Imam Hussain (RA) and his companions, including innocent children, embraced in Karbala to uphold the uprightness and preserve the sanctity of Islam.
- Taliban Key Commander Killed in Southern Afghan Town
Taliban key commander Mawlawi Hekmatullah has been killed in Panjwai district of Afghan Southern Kandahar province, a local official said Saturday.
- Martyrdom Anniversary of Imam Sajjad (A)
Imam Sajjad (A.S) was martyred by poisoning on 25th Moharrum in the year 95 A.H. at Madina and is buried at Baqi near his uncle Hasan (A.S.).
- Syria troops continue push against militants
Syrian army troops continue their push to free more areas from militants’ control in the northwestern city of Aleppo and near the capital Damascus.
- Facebook not a crime: Iranian culture minister
London, Asharq Al-Awsat—Ali Jannati, Iran’s Minister of Culture and Islamic Guidance, told reporters that he is a member of social networking website Facebook and that membership is not a crime, Iranian news agencies reported on Friday.
- Ayatollah’s autocratic attitudes condemned
TEHRAN: A prominent jailed Iranian reformist political figure has mounted a scathing attack on the country’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, accusing him of reigning over an absolute and authoritarian theocracy.
- Gunmen Kill Eight Shia Muslims in Pakistan
Gunmen opened fire on a Shia Muslim religious procession in Pakistan on Friday, killing eight and injuring more than 30.
- Ashura 2013: Shia Muslims Practise Ritual Self-Flagellation in Muharram [GRAPHIC PHOTOS]
Shiite Muslims across the world practised ritual self-flagellation as they observed Ashura on 14 November.
- Shiites on procession kill seven Sunnis in Pakistan
Shiites and Sunnis clashed in Pakistan after the Shiites pulled Sunnis out of a seminary, resulting in the death of seven people and 32 injured.