- Ignorance, extremist Sunnis fuelling anti-Shia sentiments in Malaysia, says academic
Ignorance and an extremist brand of Sunni Islam influencing religious authorities are fuelling the current anti-Shia movement in Malaysia, although the minority community has deep roots in the country stretching back centuries, says an academic.
- Michigan Students Try Hijab for a Day
Non-Muslims students at a Michigan university have been offered a chance to try hijab for the first time when their Muslim counterparts marked the university’s hijab day earlier this month.
- Suicide bomber kills 11 at Shiite funeral in Iraq
A suicide bomber killed 11 people and wounded 20 at a Shi’ite Muslim funeral in a city northeast of Baghdad on Tuesday, police said, as Iraqi insurgents pursue a campaign of deadly attacks.
- 743 Martyrs in Syrian Shia-majority Cities
Since the beginning of the clashes in Syria, some 750 individuals have been martyred in these two cities, a figure which is very high considering the small population of the cities.
- Pakistan: Karakoram University’s Shia students rusticated for holding Youm e Hussain
Biased administration of Karakorum International University rusticated 3 Shia students for life and another 2 for 3 years for their only “sin” that they played leading role to hold Youm-e-Hussain (AS) in the University on Wednesday.
- Top Malaysia Shia Cleric Received Death Threats on Facebook
One of shia elders in Kedah Darul Aman state received death threats thru a famous social network service.
- Try to resolve Shia, Sunni divide, suggests Suhakam chief
The Malaysian Human Rights Commission, or Suhakam, has called for a dialogue between the country’s predominant Sunni Muslims and the tiny number of Shia Muslims.
- Saddam’s legacy haunts his compatriots to this day
BAGHDAD: A decade after Saddam Hussein’s arrest, the now-executed Iraqi dictator’s legacy of conflicts, sanctions and repression still exact a heavy toll on the country.
- Gujarat Waqf Board implements new law
GANDHINAGAR: The Gujarat Waqf Board has announced the implementation of the provisions of the newly-enacted central law, the ‘Waqf (amendment) Act-2013’, in the state from November 1, 2013.
- GCC cautious but positive on new Iran ties
Gulf states praise Iran’s new rapprochement efforts towards them, yet express concern on new reported nuclear projects.