- Johor govt keeping tabs on Shi’ite followers
JOHOR BARU: The Johor government is closely monitoring several groups believed to be involved in spreading Shi’ite teaching here.
- Fundamentalists massacre 15 Alawite and Druze civilians in Syria
The Saudi-sponsored fundamentalist Islamic Front and Jabhat al-Nusra killed 15 civilians from Syria’s Alawite and Druze minorities in the central city of Adra, 20 kilometres northeast of Damascus, official and opposition sources reported yesterday.
- US suspends military aid to its Syrian proxies
The United States and Britain have suspended military aid to the Supreme Military Council of the Free Syrian Army—the proxy force through which they have been arming the imperialist-sponsored insurgency to overthrow the Syrian government of Bashir al-Assad.
- Grand Mufti says suicide bombers hastening their way to hell
DUBAI – Saudi Arabia’s Grand Mufti, the highest religious authority in the birthplace of Islam, has condemned suicide bombings as grave crimes, reiterating his stance in unusually strong language.
- Samieh Baluchzehi: Iran’s First Female Ethnic Minority Mayor
A woman in Iran has made history by becoming the first female ethnic minority mayor ever elected in the Islamic Republic. Samieh Baluchzehi, 26, not only hails from the Baluch minority that is concentrated on Iran’s southeastern regions, but she also practices Sunni Islam in a nation dominated by Shia Muslims.
- Umno’s VILLIFICATION of Shia more political than religious – analysts
KUALA LUMPUR — Umno’s plan to formalise the Sunni school of Islam within its constitution and proposal to do the same with the Federal Constitution was more political gambit than religious, said two analysts.
- Defiant Iran storms out of nuclear talks as deal shows signs of crumbling in face of tit-for-tat war of words over sanctions
Iran is openly defying the United States, insisting that ‘the structure of sanctions has cracked and its collapse has started.’
- Curbs against the spirit of Geneva deal: Iran
Iran has slammed the decision by the United States to impose new sanctions, citing it as a step that undermines the spirit of the recently signed Geneva nuclear accord, which has promised to revive Tehran’s ties with the West.