- Aam Aadmi Party leader Kumar Vishwas apologises for Muharram comments
After Janata Dal (United) MLA Shoaib Iqbal threatened to withdraw support to the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) in Delhi over a poor comment related to the solemn occasion of Muharram, party leader Kumar Vishwas has issued an apology in a bid to restore calm
- Bangladesh PM insists re-election legitimate
Bangladesh’s prime minister has insisted her re-election in polls boycotted by the opposition was legitimate and said her rivals must shun “terrorist activities” before she would talk to them.
- Syria conflict: Rebel-on-rebel clashes spread in north
Fighting in northern Syria between rival rebel groups has spread to the city of Raqqa, reports say.
- Iraq violence: PM urges Fallujah to oust militants
Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Maliki has urged residents of the embattled city of Fallujah to force out insurgents linked to al-Qaeda who have taken control there.
- 61 Canadian Shiites detained in Cairo after visiting Karbala in Arbaeen
A group of 61 Canadian adult and youth Shiite Muslims were detained in Egypt on their way home to Toronto after a two-week pilgrimage to a shrine in Karbala in central Iraq for the Muslim festival of Arbaeen.
- Al Wefaq demands official response from Al Arabiya channel over false accusations
Al Wefaq National Islamic Society in Bahrain strongly denied the accusations against Al Wefaq and prominent Bahraini national and religious figures mentioned in the coverage of Al Arabiya channel.
- Activists protest in London against killings in Pakistan
Some of the leading Pakistani political parties have ties with the banned sectarian terrorist outfits and either use them or connive with them to achieve their own goals through perpetration of sectarian violence, Shia Pakistani protesters have alleged.
- In Karachi, Shia families look for safety in numbers
Soldier Bazaar No. 1 has all the discontents of a typical Karachi neighbourhood: regular power outages, on and off water cuts, and worse, long traffic jams. But Nargis Rizvi cannot care less.
- Iran to Unveil Exquisite Quran Copy
Payam Edalat Publications has unveiled an exquisite copy of the holy Quran on which it spent over a year to design and prepare.
- Clashes in northern Yemen leave 17 dead
Yemeni security officials say renewed clashes in the north between rebels belonging to a Shiite-branch of Islam and ultraconservative Salafis backed by allying tribes have killed 17.