- Syrian Army Foils Militants Attack on Shiite Town in Idlib
The Syrian army repelled an attack by the armed rebels on a Shiite town in Idlib countryside in Northwestern Syria.
- Iran nuclear deal to enter into force on 20 January
An interim agreement to freeze Iran’s nuclear programme will enter into force on 20 January, it has been announced.
- UN concerns mount over besieged Syrians
The UN humanitarian affairs chief has expressed deep concern for communities cut off in Syria by months of fighting between government and rebel forces.
- Thousands more evacuated from Indonesian villages after volcano that was dormant for 400 years erupts for the second time this week
Residents in a mountainside village in Indonesia continued to flee their homes today as a volcano that had lain dormant for more than 400 years erupted for the second time this week.
- Two killed as suicide bomber targets police bus in Kabul
A Taliban suicide bomber riding a bicycle detonated himself next to a police bus in Kabul on Sunday, killing a policeman and a civilian in the first major attack in the Afghan capital this year.
- Foreign Ministers Slam Assad Ahead of Peace Talks
PARISAn alliance of Western and Arab countries pressed Syria’s opposition to attend a peace conference scheduled for this month while lashing out at the Syrian regime and President Bashar al-Assad.
- Baghdad-area violence kills 23
BAGHDAD: Violence in and around Baghdad killed 23 people on Sunday, including at least eight who died in clashes and helicopter fire west of the Iraqi capital, officials said.
- Hasina to head 49-member Cabinet
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina began her second successive innings in government leading a 49-member Cabinet which was sworn-in on Sunday.
- William Hague rejects Iraq ‘abuse’ complaint to ICC
Foreign Secretary William Hague says a bid to prosecute British politicians and senior military figures for alleged war crimes in Iraq should be rejected.
- Bahrain releases photojournalist Ahmed Fardan
The authorities in Bahrain have released a photojournalist who was detained last month, officials say.