- 13 dead, 40,000 displaced in floods in Indonesia’s North Sulawesi
Jakarta, Indonesia (CNN) — Severe floods in northern Indonesia have left at least 13 people dead and driven tens of thousands of others from their homes in recent days, authorities said Thursday.
- 1,069 killed in Syrian rebel infighting: Activists
A Syrian activist group says two weeks of fighting between an Al Qaeda-linked group and other rebel forces in Syria has killed more than 1,000 people.
- Experts doubt US claim Assad’s forces launched deadly August sarin attack
Expert analysis of deadly August attack, and missile’s absence from Syrian inventory, undermine US assertion regime was to blame
- Internal Syrian opposition group rejects Geneva 2 talks
(Reuters) – Syria’s centrist internal opposition group, which rejects the armed insurgency against President Bashar al-Assad, said on Thursday that it will not attend peace talks in Switzerland next week, in a setback for the negotiations.
- Syria security concerns slows transport of chemical weapons
The chemicals were supposed to have been removed from Syria by December 31, but poor security, bad weather and other factors meant the deadline was missed.
- Blast in Lebanon Kills at Least 3
BEIRUT, Lebanon A suicide bomber detonated an explosives-laden car in a town in northeastern Lebanon on Thursday, killing at least three people and wounding more than 20, Lebanons National News Agency reported.
- US probes images of marines ‘burning dead Iraqis’
The US Marine Corps says it is trying to determine the authenticity of images published by a celebrity gossip website that appear to show marines burning the bodies of dead Iraqi insurgents.
- Afghan atheist gets rare asylum in UK
An Afghan who was raised a Muslim and turned atheist after fleeing to Britain in 2007 aged 16, has been granted asylum here on the ground that his lack of religious beliefs puts his life in danger if he returns to the trouble-torn country.
- Italy designates port to host Syria chemical transfer
Italy on Thursday named the port of Gioia Tauro in the Calabria region to receive Syrian chemical agents, including mustard gas, despite fierce opposition from local officials who slammed the move as undemocratic.
- Mozaffar Khazaee ‘tried to ship F-35 documents to Iran’
US authorities have arrested an Iranian-American engineer accused of attempting to ship stolen documentation on a high-tech military plane to Iran.