- 651 Citizens Sentenced in Security Cases During 2013 in Bahrain
The Bahrain Youth Society for Human Rights stated today that during the year 2013 the Bahraini Courts issued imprisonment verdicts against 651 citizens based on security charges related to the protests that kicked off on 14 February 2011.
- Bahrain arrests 183 protesters, including 31 children in one month: opposition
Sayed Hadi Al Musawi, Head of Liberties and Human Rights Department (LHRD) in Al Wefaq Society, revealed that 183 were arrested during the month of December 2013, including 31 children. Al Musawi also confirmed 17 cases of torture during the month.
- Religious Intolerance Increases in Indonesia Watchdog Says
Bonar added that the Setara Institute also recorded increasing case of intolerance towards Shia followers.
- Shia Ulema Council district president shot, guard injured
MULTAN: Muzaffargarh president of the Shia Ulema Council, Syed Altaf Hussain Bukhari, and his security guard were injured when unidentified assailants opened fire at them on Thursday night.
- 23 killed in days of floods & landslides in Indonesia
In Indonesia, at least 23 people have died in days of floods and landslides, as torrential rain pounded the capital. National Disaster Mitigation Agency spokesman said five people have died in Jakarta so far from drowning or electrocution in the floods.
- Taliban gun down TV staff in Karachi
ISLAMABAD: Taliban gunmen killed three men working for a private television station in Pakistans southern city of Karachi on Friday night, the station and the militant group said.
- Three Al-Jazeera Egypt journalists ‘facing charges’
Three al-Jazeera journalists are being detained in Egypt on suspicion of using unlicensed equipment, broadcasting false news and possessing fake footage, prosecutors say.
- UN Nuclear Inspectors Arrive in Tehran for Start of Interim Pact
United Nations nuclear inspectors arrived in Tehran today as part of a joint interim accord that would see Iran reduce its uranium enrichment in return for an easing of some Western sanctions, the Fars news agency reported.
- Yemen: Iran diplomat dies in gun attack near embassy
An Iranian diplomat has been killed in a gun attack in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa.
- Syria opposition votes to attend Geneva II peace talks
Syria’s main political opposition group, the Syrian National Coalition (SNC), has agreed to attend next week’s so-called Geneva II peace talks, to be held in Montreux, Switzerland.