- Iraqi govt allocates $1bn for Anbar reconstruction
BAGHDAD – The government plans to allocate $1 billion for the reconstruction of the violence-wracked Anbar province in response to demands by local tribesmen, as Iraqi security forces continue to wage a wide-scale operation against militants in the western, predominantly-Sunni province.
- Afghan Ethnic Tensions Rise in Media and Politics
KABUL, Afghanistan It started with a heat-of-the-moment comment on a partisan television talk show, drawing an ethnic line that was bold even by Afghan standards.
- Syria stresses full representation of “national” opposition in Geneva II
DAMASCUS, Feb. 18 (Xinhua) — The Syrian parliament speaker stressed Tuesday the full representation of Syria’s “national” opposition in the peace talks of Geneva II conference, according to the official SANA news agency.
- Bahrain sentences Shiite protester to death, jails 8
DUBAI: A Bahrain court Wednesday sentenced a Shiite protester to death and jailed six others for life after they were convicted of killing a policeman a year ago, a judicial source said.
- Libya MPs denounce militia ultimatum as coup threat
Libyas interim assembly said it was facing an impending coup Tuesday after ex-rebel militias gave it a five-hour deadline to hand over power.
- Islamabad declared ‘extremely dangerous’, alerts sent out to all embassies
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s capital has been declared as “extremely dangerous” by the interior ministry due to the presence of sleeper cells of banned terror groups like al-Qaida, a report said on Wednesday.
- Iran, powers seek to agree basis for final nuclear deal
(Reuters) – Six world powers and Iran appeared to make some progress at a second day of talks in Vienna on Wednesday to hammer out an agenda for reaching an ambitious final settlement to the decade-old standoff over Tehran’s nuclear programme.
- Suicide bombers target Iranian centre in Beirut
BEIRUT: Two suicide bombers targeted the Iranian cultural centre in Beirut on Wednesday, killing four people and themselves in an attack claimed by Sunni militants who said it was a response to the intervention of Iran and Hezbollah in the Syrian war.