- With Latest Victory, Assad Has Won the War in Syria
As the eyes of the world and the media turn to Ukraine, Syrian President Bashar al Assad has quietly been making momentous gains in his three-year civil war with rebels that all but assure he will leave office on his own terms.
- Checkpoint Attacks Kill Seven Iraq Security Personnel
Apparently-coordinated attacks on army and police checkpoints in the Baghdad area killed at least seven members of Iraq’s security forces on Wednesday, officials said.
- Iranian Women Make A Push For Greater Opportunities
Iran is starting to see a re-launch of activist groups following the election last year of President Hassan Rouhani. Social movements were scarce after the government crushed public protests known as the Green Movement following the 2009 elections.
- India-Pakistan-Iran pipeline remains the most viable option
Despite the Foreign Office emphasising that India was looking for an undersea route to source gas from Iran, bypassing Pakistan in the process, reliable sources here maintained that the India-Pakistan-Iran (IPI) Peace Pipeline still remained on the drawing board and was the most viable option.
- Explosion at Indonesian navy ammunitions depot kills 1, injures 87
JAKARTA, March 5 (UPI) — An ammunition warehouse near Jakarta exploded Wednesday morning, killing one and injuring 87.
- Baghdad blasts mainly targeting Shia kill 14
BAGHDAD: Nine bombings mainly targeting Shia-majority areas of Baghdad killed at least 14 people and wounded dozens more on Wednesday, officials said, as Iraq suffers its worst violence in years.
- U.S. restricts movements of Syria’s U.N. envoy Ja’afari
(Reuters) – The U.S. State Department announced on Wednesday that it has ordered Syria’s U.N. Ambassador Bashar Ja’afari to remain within a 25-mile (40-km) radius of New York City, similar to restrictions that apply to Iranian and North Korean envoys.
- March ‘critical month’ for Syria disarmament
All parties focused on job of dismantling chemical stockpile, OPCW-UN mission head says, as US criticises Assad regime.
- Iran announces missile breakthrough
Tehran says it has perfected multiple-warhead, medium-range ballistic missiles designed specifically to hit US bases.
- Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain withdraw envoys from Qatar
(CNN) — Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain announced Wednesday the withdrawal of their ambassadors from Qatar because Doha had not implemented an agreement among Gulf Arab countries not to interfere in each others’ internal affairs.