- Bahrain court gives life sentence to 13 protesters
A court in Bahrain has sentenced 13 pro-democracy protesters including several teenagers to life in prison, as the Al Khalifa regime steps up its crackdown on dissent.
- 16 killed in terrorist attack across Iraq
A series of terrorist attacks across Iraq, including a shooting at a security checkpoint and a car bomb explosion, has left at least 16 people dead.
- Lebanon army vows to fight terror after troops killed
Lebanons army vowed to battle terrorism hours after a suicide bomber killed three soldiers on Saturday at a Lebanese army check point near the town of Arsal, near the Syrian border.
- Syria army gains ground along Lebanon border
DAMASCUS: Syrian troops backed by Hizbullah fighters made fresh gains in the strategic Qalamun region near the border with Lebanon on Saturday, seizing two villages from rebels, a military source told AFP.
- Eight killed in Turkey election violence
Eight people were killed and 18 others were injured Sunday in clashes in local elections in southern Turkey, reports said.
- Credibility of Afghan Vote in Doubt as Observers Flee Violence
KABUL, Afghanistan Usually, an Afghan election a $100 million, Western-funded exercise draws foreigners to Kabul like flies to honey, with incoming flights full of consultants, international monitors, diplomats and journalists.
- Malaysia plane: Confronting searchers is an ocean full of garbage
BEIJING — The search and rescue teams working off the west coast of Australia seeking the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 discovered what oceanographers have been warning: Even the most far-flung stretches of ocean are full of garbage.
- Pakistan Taliban agrees to extend ceasefire
Islamabad: The month-long ceasefire announced by the Pakistani Taliban, which ends tomorrow, will be extended as the government and the banned group work towards a solution to end the menace of violence here.
- Long search looms for Malaysia jet, families renew protests
(Reuters) – T he search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 could take years, U.S. Navy officials suggested on Sunday, as search and rescue officials raced to locate the plane’s black box recorder days before its batteries are set to die.
- Shootout in Nigerian capital during attempted jail break kills 21
(Reuters) – Detainees suspected of being members of Islamist militant group Boko Haram overpowered their guards at a prison near Nigeria’s presidential villa in Abuja, seizing a rifle and triggering a gun battle that killed 21 people, security officials said.