- In Taliban stronghold, a scared electorate
Nerkh, AFGHANISTAN They were the only voters at a polling station here, and Taliban gunfire could be heard from the voting booth.
- Malaysia Airlines: plane purposely flown around Indonesian airspace
Search teams investigating reports of three possible ‘pings’, as Malaysian official claims MH370 tried to avoid radar detection
- Islamists kill 17 in northeast Nigeria, attack mosque
(Reuters) – Islamist militants attacked a remote town in northeast Nigeria’s Yobe state on Saturday, killing 17 people including five who were worshipping at a mosque, witnesses said.
- Blast kills at least 29 Syrian rebels in Homs – monitoring group
(Reuters) – At least 29 Syrian rebels including two field commanders were killed when a vehicle exploded in the central city of Homs on Sunday, a monitoring group said.
- Afghans Double Turnout to Defy Taliban as Runoff Seen
Afghanistan said voter turnout doubled from the previous presidential election in a show of defiance against Taliban insurgents as one of the leading candidates predicted a run-off would be necessary.
- Gunmen Strike In Town South Of Baghdad
Iraqi officials say gunmen have killed six people south of Baghdad.
- Iran nuclear deal proves elusive
Foreign ministers from world powers struggled Saturday to nail down a landmark nuclear deal with Iran, with US Secretary of State John Kerry announcing his imminent departure and Iran’s chief negotiator downbeat.
- Syria crisis: Deadly clash in Jordan’s Zaatari camp
At least one person has been reported killed and dozens hurt in a riot at Jordan’s Zaatari camp, home to some 106,000 refugees from Syria’s war.
- Irans Water Crisis Threatens its Future
WASHINGTON A looming water crisis in Iran has officials warning of water rationing for the capital Tehran. The Mehr news agency quotes Khosro Erteghaei, the head of Tehrans regional water company as saying water levels at the four reservoirs that serve Tehran are at a critical level. He warns that if residents of Tehran and nearby provinces do not reduce their consumption we will have a problem.