- Calls for Jihad, Purges Emerge at Hate-Filled Anti-Shiite Gathering in Indonesia
Bandung. A planned declaration in Bandung to denounce the Shiite community turned into a fiery call for jihad, or holy war, against the much-maligned minority group.
- Iraq attacks kill 14 as bomber hits university
Attacks in Iraq, including a suicide bombing at a university in north Baghdad, have killed at least 14 people.
- Turkey Twitter accounts appear blocked after Erdogan court action
ISTANBUL (REUTERS) – Two anonymous Twitter accounts used to release secretly recorded conversations implicating family and associates of Turkey’s Prime Minister and senior government officials in a corruption scandal appeared on Sunday to have been blocked.
- Tragic road accident claims over 40 lives in Pakistan
More than 40 people have been killed and many more injured when a bus collided with a tractor in southern Pakistan.
- Flight 370: Underwater drone finds nothing after scouring half of search area
(CNN) — The underwater drone scanning the ocean for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 began its eighth mission Sunday, having covered about half its intended territory without finding any sign of the missing plane.
- A Lead Grows, but Runoff Is Likely in Afghan Race
KABUL, Afghanistan With half the votes counted in the Afghan presidential race, the candidate Abdullah Abdullah widened his lead, but a runoff seemed likely between the top two contenders, according to data released Sunday by the Independent Election Commission.
- Gunmen kill 11 Algerian soldiers in ambush, ministry says
ALGIERS: Gunmen killed 11 Algerian soldiers in an ambush overnight, the defence ministry said on Sunday, in the first attack of its kind since President Abdelaziz Bouteflika won a fourth term.
- UPDATE 3-Malaysia Airlines plane turns back after tyre burst on takeoff
(Reuters) – A Malaysia Airlines plane with 166 people on board turned back and landed safely at Kuala Lumpur airport early on Monday because one of the tyres on its main landing gear burst during takeoff, the airline said.
- Air strikes in Yemen kill 40 al Qaeda militants in two days
(Reuters) – Air strikes in southern Yemen killed about 30 suspected al Qaeda members on Sunday, local tribal sources said, in the second day of strikes against militant targets in the country.