- Bombings aimed at Shiite pilgrims leave 32 dead
BAGHDAD Thirty-two people were killed in three bomb attacks on Shiite pilgrims walking in Baghdad yesterday evening ahead of a major religious holiday, police and medical sources said.
- Boko Haram: Small in Numbers, Big in Impact Across Nigeria
The Nigerian state governor whose region is considered the base for Boko Haram said the militants are small in numbers — but are having a huge and destructive impact.
- Egypt besieged on all sides as it heads into another election
Security is a top issue in Egypts presidential contest as the country faces challenges on both domestic and regional fronts.
- Military pounds Taliban hideouts for third day
Miranshah/Islamabad: Four suspected terrorists were killed on Friday as the armed forces hit insurgent targets in a third day of action in a restive tribal area close to the Afghan border.
- Russia, China veto UN bid to refer Syria to international court
United Nations: Russia and China vetoed on Thursday a resolution to refer the situation in Syria to the International Criminal Court for possible prosecution of war crimes and crimes against humanity committed during the country’s three-year civil war.
- Syrian State TV: Mortar Attack on Campaign Tent Kills 39
The attack late Thursday has raised concerns in the government that rebels will carry out even more of them ahead of the June 3 elections
- Syria activists say army uses chlorine gas against rebel towns
BEIRUT: Activists and a medic in war-torn Syria on Friday claimed President Bashar al-Assads regime used chlorine gas a day earlier to attack opposition-held towns in Hama and Idlib provinces.
- Nine injured in protests after fatal shooting in Istanbul – police
ISTANBUL (Reuters) – Two protesters and seven policemen were injured in clashes in Istanbul overnight following the fatal shooting of a bystander, the city’s police department said on Friday.
- At least 3 killed in suicide attack on Shiites in yemen
ADEN: A suicide bomber drove an explosives-laden car into a checkpoint manned by Shiite Muslim fighters in northern yemen on Friday, killing at least three people, officials and local people said.
- Indian consulate in Afghanistan attacked; assailants killed
HERAT: Four insurgent gunmen launched a pre-dawn attack on Indias consulate in the western Afghan city of Herat on Friday before being repelled by security forces, in an assault highlighting instability as Nato troops withdraw.