- Iranian president tweets bare-headed photo of Maryam Mirzakhani
Hassan Rouhani’s tweet divides opinion in Iran, while Maryam Mirzakhani’s win sparks debate about Iran’s brain drain
- Islamic State executed 700 people from Syrian tribe: monitoring group
(Reuters) – The Islamic State militant group has executed 700 members of a tribe it has been battling in eastern Syria during the past two weeks, the majority of them civilians, a human rights monitoring group and activists said on Saturday.
- Jihadists Closing in on Syrian Rebel Stronghold
Activists say fighters from the Islamic State extremist group have captured three villages in northern Syria as they close in on a stronghold of rival rebels.
- Iraqi Kurdish leader appeals to Germany for weapons
(Reuters) – The leader of Iraq’s Kurds appealed to Germany for weapons to help Kurdish fighters battling militants of the Islamic State, and said foreign powers must find a way to cut off the group’s funding.
- In Iraq, US Airstrikes Near Strategic Mosul Dam
U.S. warplanes conducted airstrikes Saturday in northern Iraq near the city of Irbil and a strategic dam in an effort to help Iraqi forces retake it from Islamic State militants.
- Iraq’s top cleric calls for unity after PM resigns
BAGHDAD: Iraq’s top Shia cleric urged unity on Friday after Nouri al-Maliki agreed to step down as prime minister, reviving hopes for a new government that can take on Sunni insurgents who have overrun large parts of the country.
- Tens of thousands hold anti-PM rally in Pakistan
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s famous cricketer-turned politician Imran Khan on Saturday asked Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to step down to pave the way for fresh elections, saying last year’s vote was massively rigged.
- Nigeria: Boko Haram kidnaps 100, Chad frees most captives
Maiduguri: Nigeria’s Boko Haram militant group kidnapped 100 people earlier this month but most were freed by security forces from neighbouring Chad, a Nigerian security official and a local self-defense member said on Saturday.
- Pakistan court orders filing of murder charges against Nawaz Sharif
LAHORE: A Pakistani court on Saturday ordered framing of murder charges against Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, his brother and Punjab chief minister Shahbaz and 19 others over the June violence near Canada-based cleric Tahirul Qadri’s headquarters here that killed 14 of his supporters.
- In Iraq, jihadists