- UN Nuclear Agency Makes No Progress in Iran Probe
VIENNA—Iran is failing to address suspicions it may have researched how to build an atomic bomb, a U.N. watchdog agency’s report showed on Friday, potentially complicating efforts by six powers to reach a deal with Tehran on its nuclear program.
- Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh module chief held near airport
KOLKATA/NEW DELHI: In a major breakthrough, state anti-terrorism officers arrested Sheikh Rahmatullah alias Sajid — chief of the Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) terror module in Burdwan — near Kolkata airport around 2.30pm on Saturday.
- Fate of IS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi unknown after airstrikes target him
The US-led coalition unleashed airstrikes near the Iraqi city of Mosul targeting top jihadist militants but the fate of the Islamic State group’s enigmatic leader remained unclear.
- UN Security Council urges unity in new Yemen government
The United Nations Security Council urged political forces in Yemen to unite Saturday, as serious ruptures appeared in the impoverished nation’s nascent cabinet.
- Sunni tribes join Shiite militias in battle for Iraqi town, a rare show of sectarian unity
BAGHDAD — Sunni Muslim tribesmen, Shiite militia fighters and Iraqi security forces set out Saturday to recapture a key city in Anbar province and stop Islamic State atrocities against a local tribe in an extraordinary coalition that could stir sectarian tensions or potentially serve as a model for future cooperation against the militants.
- Thousands Attend Funeral of Slain Saudi Shiites
TEHRAN (FNA)- Thousands of mourners attended the funeral of a group of Shiite Muslims recently killed in a deadly attack on a religious ceremony in Saudi Arabia’s Eastern Province.
- Pakistani Army Kills 17 Pro-Taliban Militants
TEHRAN (FNA)- Pakistani security forces killed at least 17 pro-Taliban militants in the country’s Northwestern tribal region.
- UN Syria Special Envoy Arrives in Damascus
TEHRAN (FNA)- UN Special Envoy to Syria Staffan de Mistura arrived in the capital Damascus Saturday afternoon for a three-day visit during which he will meet with top Syrian officials.
- Iraq car bombs kill at least 33 in attacks that resemble Islamic State operations
Car bombs have killed at least 33 people in the Iraqi capital and the city of Ramadi to the west, according to police and medical sources.