- Iran advisers boost anti-ISIL battles in Iraq
Security officials say advisers from Iran have played a key role in Iraq’s recent victories against ISIL fighters.
- Gunman and two hostages killed in Sydney siege: latest
Three dead – including gunman Man Haron Monis – and four injured as shootout ends Sydney hostage siege at Lindt cafe
- France busts cell recruiting Syria fighters
About 10 people arrested in operation to dismantle network sending would-be fighters to Syria, officials say.
- Syria rebels capture key Idlib army bases
Takeover of bases following heavy fighting that left 31 soldiers dead considered a blow to Syrian government.
- Pakistan’s Imran Khan leads Lahore protests
Supporters force closure of public transport facilities to press demand for probe into alleged rigging in 2013 vote.
- Bahrain convenes ‘new-look’ parliament
Parliament with mostly new faces is opened by king following elections boycotted by opposition al-Wefaq party.
- Yemeni forces shoot dead major separatist leader
Yemeni security forces have reportedly killed a key leader of a southern separatist movement in the port city of Aden, inciting tensions in the major city amid continuing pro-independence protests.
- Haftar forces take control of Tunisia border crossing
Forces loyal to Libya’s former army general, Khalifa Haftar, have sealed off the Ras Ajdir border crossing with Tunisia.
- Kurds make significant gains against ISIL in Iraq
Iraq’s Kurdish fighters, known as Peshmerga forces, have made significant gains in their fight against the ISIL Takfiri terrorist group.
- Iran, US start new round of nuclear talks in Geneva
Senior officials from Iran and the United States have started a new round of talks in the Swiss city of Geneva over Tehran’s nuclear program.