- U.S.-led forces launch 13 air strikes in Syria, Islamist with $3 million U.S. bounty surrenders to Somali authorities
NAIROBI, Kenya — A leader with the Islamic extremist group al-Shabab, who the United States offered $3 million for his capture, surrendered in Somalia, a Somali intelligence official said Saturday.
- NATO flag lowered in Afghanistan as combat mission ends
KABUL — The 13-year NATO combat mission in Afghanistan formally ended Sunday with a ceremonial retirement of its green flag and a pledge by top officials of the U.S.-led coalition to remain reliable partners in Afghanistan’s unfinished war against the Taliban and other militant groups.
- Iranian senior commander killed in Iraq
TEHRAN, Iran — A senior commander in Iran’s powerful Revolutionary Guard has been killed during a battle against the Islamic State extremist group in Iraq, the Guard said Sunday.
- Iraq faces new crisis as winter descends on millions uprooted by Islamic State
IRBIL, Iraq — For three years, he worked closely with U.S. forces in Iraq. Now Ammar Younes sits in his frigid tent in a camp in Iraq’s Kurdish region, using a scalpel to gouge pieces of shrapnel out of his mangled legs as his young children look on.
- Malaysia floods: Families lean on each other to survive
More than 160,000 people in Malaysia have been forced to evacuate their homes in the country’s worst flooding in decades.
- Islamic State executed nearly 2,000 people in six months: monitor
(Reuters) – The Islamic State militant group has killed 1,878 people in Syria during the past six months, the majority of them civilians, a British-based Syrian monitoring organization said on Sunday.
- One dead, hundreds stranded on Italian ferry
A fire erupted on a ferry carrying 478 people from Greece to Italy on Sunday, leaving one person dead and trapping hundreds on top decks as gale-force winds and choppy seas hampered evacuation.
- U.S.-led forces launch 13 air strikes in Syria, Iraq
(Reuters) – U.S.-led forces on Sunday conducted eight air strikes against Islamic State militants in Syria and five strikes on IS targets in Iraq, the U.S. military said in a statement.
- AirAsia’s QZ8501 with 162 onboard goes missing: Indonesia halts search
Jakarta: Several hours of searching Indonesian waters turned up no sign of an AirAsia plane that disappeared Sunday with 162 people on board in airspace possibly thick with dense storm clouds, strong winds and lightning, officials said.
- Pakistan rejects UN, EU call of halting execution of terrorists
Pakistan has rejected calls by UN and EU to revive moratorium on execution of convicts, saying “capital punishment for terrorists does not violate international law”.