- After hijack threat, airport on alert
Security arrangements across the city, especially around the Mumbai International Airport, have been strengthened after a central intelligence agency on Sunday alerted major cities across the country of a possible Kandahar-style hijack attempt by terrorist outfits.
- At least 6 killed in Somalia suicide bomb attack
MOGADISHU, Jan. 4 (Xinhua) — At least six people were killed and several others injured in a bomb explosion at a security officer’s car in front of a military base in Mogadishu, police authorities confirmed on Sunday.
- Tension in central Mumbai after communal clash
MUMBAI: Tension prevailed at Lalbaug after a group of people allegedly hit people from another community at around 10pm on Sunday.
- Bangladesh bans protests, locks opposition leader in office
Dhaka (AFP) – Bangladesh police banned all protests in the capital from Sunday and locked main opposition leader Khaleda Zia in her office in Dhaka as clashes broke out before the first anniversary of an election her party boycotted.
- Boko Haram seizes army base in Nigeria town of Baga
The militant group Boko Haram has seized a town and key multinational military base in north-eastern Nigeria, officials and eyewitnesses say.
- Afghan official: Insurgents kill 9 police
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — An Afghan official says insurgents killed five policemen, including their commander, in the volatile eastern province of Logar, a day after four policemen who were abducted in the same region were found dead.
- Iran rejects controversial new hijab law
Tehran (AFP) – A draft law that would give greater powers to Iran’s police and volunteer militias to enforce women’s compulsory wearing of the veil has been ruled unconstitutional, state media reported Saturday.
- Pakistan strikes kill 31 militants, drone kills 7
Pakistani airstrikes killed 31 militants and a suspected US drone strike killed another seven, officials said Sunday, as local troops pressed a six-month offensive in tribal regions along the Afghan border that have long been insurgent havens.
- British ISIS hostage John Cantlie appears in new propaganda video giving tour around Iraqi city of Mosul
The Islamic State has released a new propaganda video featuring British hostage John Cantlie, in which he gives a tour inside the city of Mosul in Iraq.
- AirAsia plane crash: 4 bodies, 5th object found amid bad weather
Four more bodies and a fifth large object belonging to the crashed AirAsia jet were retrieved from the Java Sea on Sunday as rescuers battled bad weather in their efforts to reach the fuselage believed to contain the remaining victims, besides the crucial black box.