- Suicide attack kills 7 in Iraq
BAGHDAD: Iraqi officials say a suicide bomber targeting a police checkpoint south of Baghdad has killed seven people.
- Yemen blames Al-Qaeda for deadly police academy attack
SANAA: Yemen’s top security body has blamed Al-Qaeda for a bomb blast at a police academy in Sanaa, as authorities gave a new toll Thursday of 40 killed in the attack.
- Seven dead in Bangladesh’s election anniversary protests
(Reuters) – Three people have been killed in Bangladesh, bringing to seven the number of deaths since protests over a disputed election turned violent earlier this week.
- Saudi Arabia to flog activist for blasphemy on Friday: Amnesty
(Reuters) – A liberal activist sentenced to prison and flogging in Saudi Arabia will face a first round of lashes on Friday, rights watchdog Amnesty International said on Thursday.
- Medical aid unable to enter Syrian rebel-held Aleppo: WHO
(Reuters) – The World Health Organization (WHO) has been unable to get a desperately needed medical aid convoy through to civilians in the rebel-held part of Aleppo despite a government promise last month to give it access.
- Car bombs explode at checkpoints in Iraq’s Samarra, three dead
(Reuters) – Car bombs exploded at three checkpoints on the western outskirts of Iraq’s holy city of Samarra on Thursday, killing three people and wounding 41 others, a security official and locals said.
- AirAsia QZ8501: Divers try to find plane’s black boxes in Java Sea
Divers inspect AirAsia flight QZ8501’s wreckage on the seabed of the Java Sea in an ongoing search for the plane’s black boxes, retrieving three more bodies
- Muzaffarnagar riots: Bail plea of 18 accused rejected
MUZAFFARNAGAR: The bail plea of 18 people, accused of killing eight persons in Kutba village during 2013 Muzaffarnagar riots, was today rejected by a court here.
- German fears of Islam rising as anti-immigrant protests grow
Berlin: A new survey issued at a time when anti-immigrant street protests in Germany are gathering pace shows that an increasing majority of non-Muslim Germans feel threatened by Islam.
- Blast hits restaurant near mosque in France’s east
An explosion has been reported in a kebab shop near a mosque in Villefranche-sur-Saone, eastern France. There are no reports of any injuries and the cause of the blast remains unknown.