- Bahraini Opposition Figure Sentenced to 6 Months in Prison
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – The Bahraini regime has sentenced Sayed Jameel Kazem, the head of the Consultative (Shura) Council of the country’s main opposition party al-Wefaq, to six months in prison, media reports said.
- IS claims beheading of Iraqi soldier
Baghdad (AFP) – The Islamic State jihadist group beheaded an Iraqi soldier in Salaheddin province, north of Baghdad, according to a series of photos posted online on Wednesday.
- Al-Qaeda in Yemen admits responsibility for Charlie Hebdo attacks and warns West of more ‘tragedies and terror’
A top al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) leader has released a video claiming responsibility for the Charlie Hebdo attack and warning the West of more “tragedies and terror”.
- ‘1,000 recruits joining fight in Syria and Iraq each month’
WASHINGTON: For more than a decade, Western governments have struggled to stem the flow of their citizens traveling to fight in war zones in Muslim countries, increasing surveillance of those who have expressed an interest in joining extremists, creating computer programs to track suspicious travel patterns and taking other measures.
- Iran to build two more nuclear plants: Rouhani
TEHRAN: Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani said the country would build two more nuclear plants in the southern city of Bushehr in line with the peaceful use of nuclear energy.
- New issue of Charlie Hebdo sells out quickly
PARIS (AP) — Parisians lined up Wednesday to empty the newsstands of the first issue of Charlie Hebdo, a week after Islamic extremists attacked the satirical newspaper’s office, and French justice officials began cracking down by arresting dozens of people who glorified terrorism or made racist or anti-Semitic remarks.
- Azam committing atrocities on Shias, Jawad tells Rajnath
LUCKNOW: Shia cleric Maulana Kalbe Jawad on Tuesday requested union home minister Rajnath Singh to ask Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Mulayam Singh Yadav to `stop’ atrocities being committed on the Shia community allegedly at the behest of state minority affairs minister Azam Khan.
- Anti-Islamist movement Pegida that is growing in Germany surfaces in Spain
MADRID (AFP) – An anti-Islamic movement that is growing in Germany has opened a branch in Spain following last week’s attacks in France, the group said Wednesday.
- UPDATE 1-Nigerian troops repel Islamist militant attack on town of Biu
MAIDUGURI, Jan 14 (Reuters) – Nigerian security forces repelled an attack by Islamist rebels on the northeastern town of Biu on Wednesday, killing several of the insurgents, witnesses and the military said.
- Islamic State Claims Child Soldier Executed ‘Russian Spies’
Russian diplomats in Damascus are looking into the Islamic State’s claims that it executed two Russian spies attempting to infiltrate the terrorist organization in Syria, after a video was released Tuesday showing two men said to be Russian agents shot at pointblank range by a young boy.