- Iraqi premier names female mayor for capital Baghdad
Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has for the first time appointed a woman as the mayor of the capital, Baghdad.
- Winds fan flames as fire races up Dubai high-rise
A fire broke out Saturday in one of the world’s tallest residential buildings, sending hundreds of people into the streets of Dubai as flames poured out of the luxury apartments.
- 89 School Children Abducted by South Sudan Militia: UNICEF
An unidentified South Sudan armed group has abducted at least 89 boys, some as young as 13, from their homes in the north of the country, UNICEF said today.
- U.S. Open to Slowing Troop Pullout in Afghanistan
KABUL, Afghanistan — Four days into his tenure as defense secretary, Ashton B. Carter arrived in Afghanistan on Saturday morning and opened up the possibility of slowing the withdrawal of the last American troops in the country to help keep the Taliban at bay.
- Flydubai Jet Hit by Gunfire as It Lands in Baghdad
A commercial jet carrying 154 passengers from Dubai, in the United Arab Emirates, was struck by gunfire as it landed at Baghdad International Airport on Monday, adding to fears that Iraq’s airports are increasingly vulnerable to militant attacks.
- Boko Haram Attacks Island on Niger Side of Lake Chad
Niamey: Boko Haram militants attacked an island on Niger’s side of Lake Chad but the army repelled them after heavy fighting, residents and security sources said on Saturday.
- Pakistanis stage massive rally against killing of Shia Muslims
Pakistanis have staged a massive rally to protest against a recent deadly attack on Shia Muslims in the northwestern city of Peshawar.
- Yemen’s Former Leader, Held by Rebels, Leaves Capital
SANA, Yemen — To hear the Houthi militants who control this capital describe it, the country’s former president escaped from house arrest on Saturday by dressing as a woman, wearing a long black chador covering all but his eyes.
- Iran, US officials end technical nuclear talks
High-level technical talks over Iran’s nuclear program have concluded in the Swiss city of Geneva.