- Canadian imams issue fatwa against Islamic State
Ottawa (AFP) – A group of Canadian imams and religious scholars issued a religious edict against the Islamic State group Wednesday, denouncing its threats against and recruitment in Canada.
- Iraqi Prime Minister calls on Muslim world to unite in fight against ISIS
Iraq’s prime minister says his country needs “much, much more support” than it is receiving from international partners, issuing a call specifically to other Muslim nations, in the fight against ISIS.
- Sweden ends Saudi military ties over human rights issues
Stockholm (AFP) – Sweden announced Tuesday it will not renew a military cooperation agreement with Saudi Arabia, effectively ending defence ties due to mounting concerns over rights issues.
- Iraqi minister: We’re comfortable receiving aid from Iran
BAGHDAD (AP) — The top US military official said Monday he is “a bit concerned” about whether the international coalition fighting the Islamic State is sustainable for the longer-term challenge of confronting extremists in other regions.
- Qatar says to begin rebuilding 1,000 homes in Gaza
GAZA (Reuters) – A Qatari official visiting a Gaza neighborhood heavily bombed in last summer’s war with Israel said on Tuesday the Gulf Arab state had begun a project to rebuild 1,000 homes as part of a $1 billion aid pledge.
- Iran blames Yemen president for crisis in Sanaa
Tehran (AFP) – Iran warned Tuesday of possible “disintegration or civil war” in Yemen, criticising President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi for leaving the capital Sanaa and basing himself in the southern city of Aden.
- Iran parliament speaker in Qatar tries to allay Arab concern
DOHA, Qatar (AP) — In an attempt to allay Arab concerns about his country’s role in the region, Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani said Wednesday that Tehran’s assistance to the Iraqi people in confronting the extremist Islamic State group, has prevented more countries from being threatened by IS terrorism.
- Iraqi forces enter IS-held Tikrit after 10-day push
Tikrit (Iraq) (AFP) – Iraqi forces have entered Tikrit, dodging bombs and sniper fire in search of their biggest victory yet against embattled jihadists who tried to light new fires elsewhere in Iraq and Syria.
- Iraq Arrests ISIS Advisors, US And Israelis Held
TEHRAN – Iraqi Special Forces said they have arrested several ISIL’s foreign military advisors, including American, Israeli and Arab nationals in an operation in Mosul in the Northern parts of the country.
- IS attacks Iraq’s Ramadi with seven car bombs
Baghdad (AFP) – The Islamic State jihadist group launched a coordinated attack on government-held areas of the western Iraqi city of Ramadi on Wednesday, involving seven almost simultaneous suicide car bombs, police said.