- U.S., allies hit Islamic State with 14 air strikes: Joint Task Force
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The United States and its allies staged 14 air strikes on Islamic State targets in Syria and Iraq in the latest round of daily attacks, the Combined Joint Task Force said on Tuesday.
- Yemen Huthi advance raises fears over key waterway
Aden (AFP) – As they advance south, Yemen’s Iran-linked Huthi militiamen are moving within striking distance of the strategic Bab al-Mandab strait, a vital corridor through which much of the world’s maritime trade passes.
- Saudi king invites Iraq PM to visit as ties thaw
Baghdad (AFP) – Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi received an invitation from King Salman to visit Saudi Arabia, as relations between the two nations improve, the premier’s office said.
- Iraq officials: Baghdad bombings kill 19; wound 36
BAGHDAD (AP) — Multiple bombings in the Iraqi capital killed at least 19 people and wounded 36, as Iraqi forces continued preparing for a large-scale operation to recapture the city of Tikrit from the Islamic State group.
- Saudi Arabia: Arabs will take action over Yemen if peace efforts fail
RIYADH (Reuters) – Arab countries will take necessary measures to protect the region against “aggression” by Yemen’s Iranian-allied Houthi group if a peaceful solution cannot be found to that country’s turmoil, Saudi Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisal said on Monday.
- PM Barzani: Shiite militias should be regulated
As the battle grinds on against the Islamic State — also known as IS, ISIL and Daesh — there is growing concern about the mounting influence of Iran and Shiite militias known as the Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) inside Iraq.
- Will R&D agreement seal the Iran deal?
Research and development has surfaced as a barrier to progress with only a week until the deadline to agree on the parameters of a final nuclear deal.
- Official: US-led aircraft flying over IS-held Tikrit
TIKRIT, Iraq (AP) — The U.S.-led coalition battling the Islamic State group has begun surveillance flights over the northern Iraqi town of Tikrit, a senior coalition official said Tuesday, marking the first time the alliance has taken part in a major offensive there that is being spearheaded by Iranian-backed Shiite militias.
- Israel ‘spied on Iran talks’
Washington (AFP) – Israel has spied on Iran’s nuclear talks with the United States and other major powers, the Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday.
- America and Iran ‘taking part in joint military operations in Iraq’
The United States is taking part in joint military operations with Iran, admitting it is providing aerial surveillance over the current battle for Tikrit.