- US ‘hijacking’ victory in Iraq’s Tikrit: militia groups
Baghdad (AFP) – Iraqi Shiite militias accused Washington Thursday of hijacking the operation to retake Tikrit, threatening a mass pullout even as regular government forces pressed a final assault.
- Iran demands immediate halt to military actions in Yemen
ANKARA (Reuters) – Iran demanded an immediate halt to Saudi-led military operations in Yemen on Thursday and said it would make all necessary efforts to control the crisis there, Iranian news agencies reported.
- Turmoil in Yemen escalates as Saudi Arabia bombs rebels
SANAA, Yemen (AP) — The turmoil in Yemen grew into a regional conflict Thursday, with Saudi Arabia and its allies bombing Shiite rebels allied with Iran, while Egyptian officials said a ground assault will follow the airstrikes.
- With Yemen strikes, Saudis show growing independence from U.S.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Saudi Arabia kept some key details of its military action in Yemen from Washington until the last moment, U.S. officials said, as the kingdom takes a more assertive regional role to compensate for perceived U.S. disengagement.
- Houthi Official: Yemen Strikes By Saudi Arabia Will Set Off ‘Wide War’
ADEN, March 26 (Reuters) – A senior leader of Yemen’s Houthi movement said on Thursday that Saudi air strikes amounted to an aggression against his country and warned they would set off a “wide war” in the region.
- Saudi leads ten-nation Sunni coalition in bombing Yemen’s Shia rebels
Reports of 150,000 troops mobilised with American backing as Middle East plunged into open sectarian war
- Is the Shiite Revival Here?
Iran’s support of Shiite forces in the Middle East has been viewed as a success, while Saudi Arabia struggles to find reliable proxies.
- Shiite Militia Leader Accuses Kurds of Deepening Sectarian Conflict in Iraq
The head of Asaib Ahl al-Haq, Qayis Khizali, has accused Kurds of trying to deepen the conflict between Iraqi Sunnis and Shiites.
- The Shiite-Sunni War Expands
While much of the American media focuses on the Israeli elections and the fraying of U.S.- Israeli relations, the proxy war between Sunni and Shiite Muslims passed another marker on the road to a full-blown regional confrontation.
- Iran ramps up sea power while negotiating nukes with West
While the U.S. haggles with Iran over nuclear weapons, the Islamic Republic is aggressively building up a navy — a move that has regional neighbors concerned.
- Saudi – Iran power struggle lays the region to waste
As Saudi jets launched bombing raids against Yemeni rebel targets, escalating another war in the Middle East, the Sunni world showed remarkable unity.