- Saudi ground troops would face Yemen ‘quagmire’: experts
Dubai (AFP) – Saudi-led airstrikes alone are unlikely to crush Iranian-backed Yemeni rebels but a ground incursion would risk a bloody “quagmire” and escalating tensions with Tehran, experts say.
- Questions and answers about the Arab peacekeeping force
CAIRO (AP) — Arab League member states have agreed in principle to form a joint inter-Arab military peacekeeping force.
- Why it may suit Iran to let the Saudis win in Yemen
It may appear confusing at first glance that the U.S. is supporting a Saudi-led military intervention against Iran-backed Houthi forces in Yemen while waging its own air campaign in support of Iran’s allies fighting the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) in Tikrit, Iraq — and negotiating a nuclear accord with Tehran.
- Heavy blasts at Aden arms depot kill at least 14
Aden (AFP) – A series of explosions rocked an arms depot in Yemen’s second city of Aden Saturday, killing at least 14 people as looters swarmed the facility, witnesses and an official said.
- Four Iraqi soldiers killed fighting with Islamic State in Tikrit
BAGHDAD (Reuters) – Four Iraqi soldiers were killed in street fighting with Islamic State militants in Tikrit overnight as they advanced slowly into the city, a Sunni jihadist bastion, in the wake of coalition air strikes, a security official said.
- Iran talks go into top gear in battle of wills
Lausanne (AFP) – Tortuous negotiations aimed at laying to rest fears that Iran will acquire nuclear weapons shifted into top gear Saturday with each side demanding the other give ground ahead of a looming deadline.
- Saudi air strikes hit Yemeni capital Sanaa to disarm Shia Houthis amid ground invasion
Saudi-led air forces are believed to have attacked the Yemeni capital Sanaa before launching strikes against a convoy of Shia Houthi armoured vehicles and tanks today.
- Yemen’s president calls Shiite rebels ‘puppets of Iran’
Houthis respond by calling Hadi a “puppet” of Saudi Arabia, which says airstrikes will continue until security is restored.
- Nuclear talks with Iran reach critical point
Lausanne, Switzerland (CNN)Nuclear talks reached a critical point Saturday as the ministers of France and Germany arrived to push a framework agreement with Iran ahead of Tuesday’s deadline.
- Egyptian Islamists’ views differ on Yemeni conflict
After the Saudi led airstrikes on Yemeni capital Sanaa and military sites of the Houthi militias Friday and Saturday, Egypt’s once united Islamist movement shared different opinions on the attacks.