- Syria, Iran vow to step up fight against ‘terrorists’
Damascus (AFP) – Syria and Iran have agreed to “intensify efforts to fight terrorism,” Syria’s defence minister said in Tehran, after a series of government defeats at the hands of rebel forces.
- Saudi King Stokes Tensions With Cabinet Reshuffle
Saudi Arabia’s King Salman will have to offer other princes a key stake in the hierarchy of the royal family to maintain peace after promoting his 34-year-old son to second in line to the throne, analysts say.
- Iraq poised to deploy Iran-backed Shi’ite militia in offensive in West
BAGHDAD (Reuters) – Iraq is poised to deploy Shi’ite paramilitaries backed by Iran to Sunni tribal areas west of Baghdad, a move supporters say is needed to defeat Islamic State militants but opponents say could inflame more sectarian violence.
- Iranian Foreign Minister: Iran, U.S., Saudi Have ‘Common Interest’ In Fighting ISIS
NEW YORK — Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said Wednesday that the Iranian government is ready and willing to work with international partners to fight the Islamic State group.
- Yemen rebels attack Saudi border, dozens dead
Riyadh (AFP) – Saudi Arabia said its forces killed dozens of Iran-backed rebels from Yemen who launched their first major attack on the kingdom since Saudi-led air strikes began last month.
- Republicans propose directly funding Iraqi militias in war against Isis
According to text from next year’s defence bill released Monday, at least $178m would go directly to ‘Kurdish and tribal security forces or other local security forces with a national security mission’
- Saudi Arabia Is Burning Through Its Foreign Reserves at a Record Pace
Saudi Arabia is burning through foreign reserves at a record pace as the largesse of the new king and regional turmoil ratchet up pressure on public finances already hurt by the oil price slump.
- Saudi Arabia: Hajj application for Muslim pilgrims asks ‘are you Shia?’
Muslims wishing to perform the Hajj pilgrimage in 2015 will have to declare whether they are Shia or Sunni on the application forms.
- Iraq to deploy Shia militia in Anbar offensive
Iraq is poised to deploy Shia paramilitaries backed by Iran to Sunni tribal areas west of Baghdad, a move supporters say is needed to defeat Islamic State militants but opponents say could inflame more sectarian violence.
- Jaish Al-Islam: The Saudi funded al Qaeda ally
It is a well known fact that the war at Yemen in which Saudi Arabia is taking part has done a world of good for the al Qaeda.